The Iyengar Institute of San Francisco (IYISF) seeks an experienced professional with marketing and leadership experience to be a key member of our management team. Founded nearly 35 years ago, IYISF is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to promoting the life work of BKS Iyengar.
We are a small, dedicated collaborative team working to bring the health and healing benefits of Iyengar Yoga to individuals throughout Northern California. Located in the Sunset District of San Francisco, IYISF has one of the most respected Advanced Studies/Teacher Training (AS/TT) programs in the world. IYISF has trained some of the most prominent teachers in the United States. As the oldest teacher training program in the country, students come from around the world to study with our outstanding faculty. Additionally the Institute offers workshops, public classes, a small retail shop, and a member-only print and e-resource borrowing library.
The position requires superior knowledge of marketing tools and techniques and experience in program administration and oversight. The successful candidate must demonstrate a desire to understand the culture of Iyengar yoga and to seek to find connections with the growing mainstream global yoga culture. The Marketing Manager will lead effectively drawing from proven success in organizing and motivating people. He/She will be flexible in thinking, be confident in prioritization, and lead the organization forward on many projects simultaneously. While the position does not require it, a background in nonprofit management and yoga is very helpful.
This position is scheduled for 30 hours per week with some evening and weekend hours required as-needed.
IYISF Job Description:
The Marketing Manager is a critical member of the IYISF team with the hands-on responsibility to generate income in all program areas, especially workshops. This is a leadership position for someone with a drive to grow new business and a strong “can-do” spirit. The responsibilities include leading all marketing projects and public relations, and management of specific revenue streams including workshops, events, and fundraising activities. The Marketing Manager will collaborate closely with the Operations Manager, the AS/TT Administrator, the Board of Directors, Faculty Members and Workshop Instructors. Duties may also include managing paid staff and volunteers.
Manage all strategies related to driving new business. This includes developing and strengthening the IYISF brand and marketing our programs (public classes, workshops, teacher training and membership) to existing communities and new markets that haven’t considered us before.
• Drive revenue growth with new and existing students
• Persistently explore and uncover business opportunities
• Develop collaborative strategies that up-sell and cross-sell our programs and merchandise.
• Maintain and develop the IYISF Brand related to in-studio marketing. This includes developing strategies to ensure a positive and welcoming impression to guests and looking at a student’s positive experience from end to end. Strategies could include clarifying & unifying the way we talk about IYISF, our signage, the way we answer our phones, the way new students are welcomed, how the front windows, the studios, bulletin boards and fliers look and other ways we communicate with each other and the outside world.
• Create and disseminate electronic and paper communications that spark engagement in IYISF classes and events.
• Maximize student exposure to upcoming classes and events during their on-site visits.
• Create and implement regular on-line communications that reflect the IYISF brand. Focusing on sending compelling weekly newsletters via Constant Contact and further developing effective email marketing
• Manage our blog, expanding readership and developing new content.
• Develop fliers & posters for all programs that stimulate interest and promote engagement.
• Develop the potential of our website to inform, engage, educate and promote our relationships within our community with the assistance of a volunteer webmaster
• Develop our social media presence, using innovative techniques and collaborating with volunteers where appropriate to do SEO and other important activities
• Increase the opportunities for member and volunteer involvement, enlarge the pool of potential & actual volunteers. Recruit volunteers to help with marketing specific programs.
• Develop collaborative relationships within and beyond the Iyengar community including: the New York Iyengar Institute; the Los Angeles Iyengar Institute; alumni; and neighborhood merchants in order to effectively promote our programs, develop new students and increase program attendance
• Maintain and develop the IYISF Brand through public events and public relations at all levels.
• Support AS/TT program administrator’s marketing efforts
• Maximize the effectiveness of Constant Contact to communicate with our constituents.
• Develop accurate methods to seek feedback on our programs and to analyze information to make changes that guide future program development and decision making
• Identify opportunities for public relations, including media relationships and stories that promote Iyengar Yoga
• Maintain the workshop budget, ensuring the Institute meets or exceeds workshop attendance and income goals
• Handle all logistics related to workshops including arranging for work-study staffing during all workshops.
• Develop and use innovative strategies to market workshops and meet attendance goals
• Drive the activities of the workshop committee
• Maintain the workshop calendar
• Work cooperatively with guest teachers and volunteers to ensure successful workshops. This includes coordinating with local hosts to ensure housing and transportation.
• Provide leadership to launch new programs such as the Graduate Level Program / Jr. Intermediate Training Program
Membership/Volunteer recruitment and administration
• Provide leadership to the membership drive with marketing materials and strategies.
• Increase the opportunity for member and volunteer involvement, enlarging the pool of potential & actual volunteers
• Actively recruit new members through a combination of personal effort and managing a program/volunteers.
• Collaborate with the board to ensure successful fundraisers that meet financial goals and bring new and existing students to the Institute.
• Handle complaints. Where needed, delegate and collaborate with others to solve all issues.
• Manage interns and work-study students as appropriate.
• Provide support to staff and Board
• Actively engage community members and encourage deepening levels of commitment to IYISF. Treat all community members/guests with courtesy and respect.
• General administrative responsibilities in the office such as answering phones, opening mail, closing properly.
• Take ownership and provide what is needed, even when it might be outside of direct responsibilities. These include identifying opportunities to grow IYISF, responding to IYISF needs to make sure activities run smoothly and taking appropriate action when necessary.
• Provide expertise and advice with event planning, fundraising and outreach needs
• Develop IYISF’s image at trade shows or outside events. Personally represent IYISF at these events.
• Provide leadership and direction for all marketing and fundraising efforts
• BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
• Experience with Mac applications and Microsoft Word and Excel
• Experience with Wordpress and other blogging platforms
• Experience with Constant Contact or other e-news applications
• Experience with managing business social media sites
• Experience with Google tools including Analytics & AdWords
• Experience with Adobe Suite applications
• Familiarity with basic HTML/CSS
• Leadership experience in a business or non-profit setting
• Proven success in a marketing role
• Demonstrated experience in sales or fundraising
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adaptable in exercising judgment in a dynamic environment with multiple constituencies
• Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities
• Drive to grow new business
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to be creative, proactive and collaborative
Familiarity with, or practice of, Iyengar Yoga.
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Subject line must read: IYISF MARKETING MANAGER
1) Resume (including salary history),
2) Cover letter
3) A response of no more than two (2) pages to the request below.
Please do one of the following:
1. Take a yoga class at the Iyengar Institute of San Francisco (IYISF), 2404 27th Ave in San Francisco. Before or after the class take a walk around and look at the facility. Take special note of all promotional materials that are available—class schedules, workshop announcements, upcoming events etc. Please tell us in concrete terms the pluses and minuses of what you see. Tell us how if you were selected, you could make a positive impact on IYISF. What skills do you bring to the job that will help us improve IYISF? Please be as specific as possible.
1. Review the websites of the Iyengar Yoga Institute of New York City http://www.iyengarnyc.org/, and the Iyengar Yoga Institute of Los Angeles http://www.iyila.org/ . Compare these websites with IYISF’s website http://www.iyisf.org/ . Look at both content and presentation. Please tell us in concrete terms the pluses and minuses of IYISF programs and presentation. Tell us how if you were selected, you could make a positive impact on IYISF. What skills do you bring to the job that will help us improve IYISF? Please be as specific as possible.