The Stacie Mathewson Foundation, founded in 2011 by philanthropist Stacie Mathewson, is focused on addiction recovery and prevention for young people; and committed to erasing the social stigma associated with addiction and alcoholism. We support and collaborate with those who transform lives while transforming the very perception of recovery.
To date, the non profit 501 (c) 3 organization has helped to fight the nation’s fastest-growing epidemic
by educating lawmakers, building community awareness and funding academic programs for recovering or at- risk youth and young adults.
As part of its strategic growth, the foundation is looking for a Director of Strategic Development, Marketing and Communication to work closely with Executive Director Stacie Mathewson. Key responsibilities include the creation, development and delivery of a comprehensive strategic and tactical plan for business development, funding and communications.
To coordinate these activities, we are looking for a strong influencer and negotiator, who is self-motivated and has a proven track record of business development, marketing and communication----someone who can blend strategic oversight with day-to-day program and project management. You should be capable of creative thinking, developing new and innovative strategies for communicating the Stacie Mathewson Foundation brand, all the time working in a diplomatic and practical manner to ensure that change is delivered in a sustainable way.
The Director of Strategic Development, Marketing and Communication would ideally have a degree in a business or marketing-related field, providing the relevant business, communication, strategic-thinking and entrepreneurial skills required for the post as well experience (personally or professionally) in the field of addiction and recovery.
The Director of Strategic Development, Marketing and Communication should be located in San Diego, reporting directly to Executive Director Stacie Mathewson yet working independently with a small team of partners and consultants virtually based.
Specific Job Responsibilities
• Assist in development and delivery of the foundation’s strategy for new business development, marketing and communication in close collaboration with the Executive Director
• Develop and execute a plan for application and coordination of CRC grants awarded by the foundation
• Develop and execute a plan to identify and apply for grant funding from key corporate partners, NGOs, government, media and individuals.
• Review and develop all communications opportunities, ensuring brand consistency per the foundation’s Brand Book and plans, and work with the
Executive Director to include these into the fundraising plan.
• Innovate and offer new ideas and approaches for developing the foundation, building relationships with
other prospective business partners and with other networks and members where appropriate.
• Stay appropriately networked and keep abreast of trends, news, events and deadlines, so that
all possible, new or enhanced opportunities are exploited.
• Ensure work is conducted within the context of the overall governance and management of
The Stacie Mathewson Foundation, its fundraising strategy and its annual plan and long-term strategy
• Lead the day-to-day business development, marketing and communications activities of the Foundation and keep the Executive Director informed through weekly status reports and timely communications.
• Maintain overall responsibility and accountability for ensuring that project outcomes are achieved and reported, ensuring that the marketing strategy is line with project requirements.
Specific Job Responsibilities (continued)
Partner Liaison, Fundraising and Communication
• Create and manage strategic corporate and media relationships together with the Executive Director
• Identify current funding requirements for core activities and specific projects from foundations, trusts and government and take responsibility for contributing to an annual fundraising target of $xxxxx
• Play an active role in implementing a fundraising communications campaign and oversee development of presentations and communications tools & materials for key meetings and conferences.
• Review existing individual giving systems and concepts and develop appropriate plans and
strategies for awarding CRC grants with support from the Executive Director.
• Design and collaborate with Executive Director to co-present at presentations and pitches to clients at meetings and dedicated events
• Play an active role in the planning, budgeting, monitoring and reporting of The Stacie Mathewson Foundation’s work
• Ensure all activity is recorded accurately in The Stacie Mathewson Foundation’s data base
• Ensure all budgeting and follow up of project costs, negotiations, invoices, is completed
Ideal Candidate Will Have:
• Relevant degree in business with marketing/communications concentration
• Minimum 5 years experience working in a business development role in a corporate environment or an international NGO, social enterprise or government department.
• Minimum 3 years’ corporate marketing and branding experience.
• Extensive use of project management approaches including setting project plans, budgets and
• Experience in fundraising preferable.
Knowledge and Skills
• High level of communication skills able to operate professionally and effectively at all levels.
• Excellent rapport building, networking and relationship management experience.
• Ability to facilitate, maintain and manage good working relationships between staff, volunteers,
partners, and donors.
• Entrepreneurial drive, passion and ability to help shape the foundations marketing and
• Ability to provide strategic leadership and management, ensuring that the vision is not lost in
the daily operations of the foundation
• Set clear priorities between competing demands for resources and manage own tasks and
priorities effectively and with minimal supervision.
• Ability to review and analyze budgets and financial reports to see implications in the
implementation and management of the projects.
• Excellent word-processing and database management skills.
• Clear understanding and knowledge of addiction and recovery issues