Dedicated to exploring work in the humanities and sciences that furthers the full realization of the human potential through experience, education, and research, Esalen Institute offers over 500 public programs each year serving over 10,000 people who participate in personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants. Founded in 1962 and soon after known worldwide as an alternative educational center, Esalen is located on the spectacular Big Sur coastline adjacent to the Santa Lucia Mountains. The current revenue for Esalen’s $12 million operating budget includes approximately 95% earned income and 5% contributed income.
The Director of Advancement is responsible for providing vision, direction, and strategic leadership for all aspects of fundraising, marketing, and communications at the Esalen Institute, including Esalen’s planned capital campaign. As senior staff officer, s/he will oversee a comprehensive effort to progressively increase the current $1M in annual private support, as well as oversee all marketing and communication efforts of Esalen Institute. Working closely with the CEO and Board of Trustees, the Director of Advancement will assess and further define the strategic direction of the advancement function and implement the necessary infrastructure to support a comprehensive advancement program. S/he will be expected to be an active member of the organization’s senior management team.
• Manage all aspects of the advancement program including annual, capital, major and planned giving to meet annual and capital campaign needs; donor relations; communication; stewardship; events, and development services.
• Set annual fundraising and marketing goals with the CEO and the Board of Trustees.
• Supervise all initiatives, from conception of strategies through implementation, stewardship and renewal, to progressively increase the current $1M in annual support through contributions and grants, from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
• Launch systematic initiatives to identify and cultivate new potential donors to Esalen while maintaining and strengthening ties to existing donors.
• Manage an independent portfolio of major donors, including participating fully in the process of identifying and developing cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for these prospects.
• Provide primary staff support for annual and capital campaign efforts by the Trustees and the CEO, including guiding and working with the Development Committee of the Board in the development of strategies, reports, memos, correspondence and budget information.
• Work with Board of Trustees and professional fundraising counsel to plan and implement a multi-million dollar capital campaign, beginning with a Capital Campaign Feasibility Study.
• Administer, monitor and coordinate the Department’s income and expense budgets, reconciling these on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis with relevant Directors and with the Finance office.
Marketing and Communications
• Oversee marketing and communications outreach strategy for Esalen seminars and fundraising efforts.
• Create a strong and consistent message about Esalen to its constituents through institutional branding and communications.
• Oversee development of printed and web-based materials for fundraising, seminars, programs, and marketing.
• Ensure effective coordination among the departments of development, marketing, and special events and the Board of Trustees for maximum private and earned income results.
• Coordinate with Information Systems to ensure that the necessary tools and best practices are available to support development and marketing efforts.
The ideal candidate for this position will offer:
• At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in building highly efficient and effective development programs as well as strong leadership skills and a keen understanding of best practices in fundraising and marketing.
• A demonstrated track record of success with individual gifts, major and planned gifts, special events, and grants.
• Significant experience building long-term relationships with donors including personal visits.
• Past successful achievement of capital campaigns and annual fundraising goals in the $1M range or higher.
• Experience with institutional branding and communication is highly desired.
• Significant experience in the strategic planning, implementation and management of comprehensive fundraising campaigns.
• A degree in a humanities or business-related field, with an advanced degree a plus.
• A demonstrated capacity to lead, manage and motivate professional and support staff members, senior staff, Trustees and volunteers.
• Success in foundation and corporate grant-seeking programs.
• Experience in fiscal management and budget development.
• Exceptional strength in writing and editing, with the ability to supervise others in this capacity.
• Appreciation of the mission of Esalen and an ability to effectively communicate that mission.
• Must be a self-starting individual with a clear set of priorities but with the ability to be flexible and adapt to changing circumstance, and a sense of humor.
Compensation and Benefits:
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants. To learn more about our history, browse our program and workshop offerings, or download the current catalog, please visit our web site at www.esalen.org.