Senior Director of Programs
Urban Habitat | -All Locations- | Full Time | Posted: 10/06/2012
ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND AND MISSION:
Founded in 1989, Urban Habitat (UH) builds power in low-income communities and communities of color by combining policy, advocacy, research, leadership development, and coalition-building to advance environmental, economic and social justice in the Bay Area. UH applies a critical race and class lens to issues of transportation, housing, land use, planning, and community development, and offers a clear vision and agenda for the equitable development of the region. The organization seeks an innovative, energetic, and experienced individual to serve as its Senior Director of Programs.
The Senior Director of Programs is a member of UH’s Executive Management Team who plays a leading role in defining and implementing policies, campaigns, and coalition-building efforts to advance an equity agenda at the local, regional, and state level. Specifically, the candidate will lead UH’s efforts to define a comprehensive policy and research agenda for the organization and its priority campaigns, and will support cross-programmatic strategy development and implementation. The candidate must effectively lead UH program directors in a team environment to strengthen and integrate policy analysis and advocacy efforts as they relate to the organization’s core programs (i.e., Transportation Justice, Land Use & Housing, Economic Justice, and Strategic Initiatives (Leadership Institute and Social Equity Caucus), along with UH’s national journal Race, Poverty & the Environment). The candidate must be a strategic thinker and communicator, and have the ability to generate and translate complex ideas or research findings into concrete policy and campaign recommendations.
Additionally, the candidate must be able to work with a diverse group of stakeholders, including allied organizations; community groups; and policy, government, labor, and health organizations. Finally, as a member of the Executive Management Team, the candidate will have a strong working
knowledge of all aspects of the organization’s programmatic, personnel, and financial goals and strategies, and work closely with the Executive Management Team to achieve UH’s short- and long term objectives. The Senior Director of Programs reports directly to the President & CEO, and
supervises personnel, as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Program Planning, Management, Integration, and Alignment:
- Lead staff efforts to develop UH core programs and/or campaigns that are
well-integrated and aligned with the overall mission of the organization.
- Lead annual strategic planning process and ensure effective development and implementation of program and individual work plans.
- Identify needs, develop new initiatives, and make recommendations, such as contract, grant, or cooperative agreement funding opportunities to address opportunities and gaps across programs.
Program Analysis and Evaluation:
- Analyze metrics and other relevant factors to ensure that
programs are meeting outcomes and objectives, and are making true community change.
- Coordinate and prioritize resources across programs and projects, and manage links between the projects as well as the overall costs and risks of the program.
- Provide evaluation of progress toward milestones and deliverables across core programs, grants, and contracts.
Policy, Advocacy, and Research:
- Provide analysis of local, regional, state, national, and international
policies that are relevant to UH’s mission and campaign goals.
- Develop and recommend strategies to help UH and its partners effectively navigate and impact the policymaking arena.
- Educate and mobilize policymakers, community and labor allies, and other key stakeholders around UH’s policy agenda.
- Monitor the political landscape for strategic opportunities to advance UH’s priority campaigns and programs.
- Design innovative policies and advocacy strategies that build on UH’s existing expertise and relationships.
Coalitions and Movement-Building:
- Strengthen the capacity of UH to effectively build and engage in
multi-issue, multi-sector coalitions throughout the region, state, and nation.
- Staff UH coalition efforts, when needed.
Staff Management and Supervision:
- Supervise personnel as assigned.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight to ensure that program directors have the support they need to run their departments at a
consistently high level.
- Maintain strong lines of communication and coordination among all staff to ensure that individual, programmatic, and organizational goals are clearly defined and achieved in a timely manner.
Development and Communications:
-Provide regular program updates to the Senior Director of
Development, Board of Directors, and Media & Communications Director in order to support UH’s fundraising efforts, media strategy, and website outreach and content development.
- Participate in fundraising cultivation meetings and/or provide talking points on UH’s programs and policy goals.
- Represent UH at conferences, community events, workshops, and other public/media engagements.
Education/training/experience and knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position:
• Master’s degree in urban planning, environmental sciences, economics, public policy, or equivalent experience
• Minimum of five years’ experience developing and leading environmental, social, and/or economic justice programs
• Minimum of five years’ experience supervising and managing personnel.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience working on land use, housing, transportation, and/or economic development planning policies and programs (for example, inclusionary zoning implementation, analysis of planned land use alternatives, EIR and CEQA review).
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate policy analysis and research results, including development of conclusions and persuasive arguments for individuals outside the organization, as appropriate.
• Demonstrated experience developing and leading successful policy campaigns and/or programs focused on environmental, social, and/or economic justice. Capacity to evaluate and prioritize campaign opportunities to maximize UH’s overall campaign and organizational goals.
• Strong commitment to issues of environmental, social, and economic justice and to working within a regional, multi-sector, multi-issue framework.
• High level of proven leadership and ability to manage complex tasks in a timely and professional manner.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
This is a senior position that requires significant experience. Candidate must demonstrate maturity, leadership skills, strategic thinking, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and an ability to effectively address multiple tasks simultaneously in order to meet the larger organizational goals.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter, resume, and three references to: DirectorofPrograms@urbanhabitat.org.
Commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance for employee and dependents; paid holidays; vacation and sick leave; and retirement.
Urban Habitat is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
|Categories||Civil Rights/Social Action Advocacy, Community Improvement/Capacity Building/Economic Development, Public Policy|
|Experience Years||5 yrs|
|Pref Major||Urban Planning, Public Policy, Environmental Sciences|
|Contact Name||Venesia Thompson|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|