The Marketing Specialist is responsible for development and execution of marketing, communications and public relations strategies with the ultimate goal of increasing the Canary Foundation’s visibility and credibility with target audiences. S/he will work with all staff members, but in particular the Founder, Executive Director, and Director of Development, to support efforts to achieve goals around fundraising, donor engagement and brand recognition. The overall goal is to develop and drive integrated communications strategies, encompassing public relations, media relations, and social media that spotlight Canary’s role as a national leader in early detection cancer research.
• Implement the short-term and long-term strategic marketing plan and budget to build a stronger external brand among target audiences of potential donors, current donors, corporations, government agencies, research institutions, and clinicians and researchers.
o Measure the impact of the plan.
• Oversee and maintain the Foundation’s website, www.canaryfoundation.org, and our related event websites.
o Maintain, coordinate and provide content the Foundation blog topics.
o Work with consultants in on going basis.
• Help develop social media strategy and campaign with consultants.
o Manage company presence on social media sites, i.e. Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc.
o Effectively build followings and engaged participants with the social media tools, targeting the audiences identified above.
• Manage the development, production and print of collateral and promotional materials.
• Monitor all field-related news and trends for sharing with donors, board members and prospects.
• Coordinate activities with external consultants for media relations.
• Supervise the work of external graphic designers and design firm, acting as their point of contact within Canary.
• Develop and continually update foundation materials.
• Maintain uniform use of the mission statement and messaging platform by all staff.
• Ensure consistent use of the foundation’s brand identity (including logo, color etc.) and maintain institutional communication strategy.
• Create presentations for all identified audiences.
• Develop and implement the foundation’s internal newsgathering processes, managing the identification and utilization of internal story ideas/announcements.
• Build internal support for marketing and communications, including engagement of staff in social media and electronic communications in an ongoing way.
• Editing communications developed by other team members to ensure consistent messaging and professional quality
• Manage regular reporting on all communications and marketing activities, including website usage, blog readership, social media activity, etc. to determine results against identified targets.
Other Related Activities:
• Develop collateral materials, including presentations, photos and video, for all events, including fundraising events, donor meetings and speaking engagements.
• Work as part of the development team to strategize growth in the areas of individual and corporate giving, and assist in producing donor reports and proposals, and research proposals.
• Manage a summer intern and/or volunteer(s).
Desired Skills & Experience:
• BA required, ideally in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing or related field
• Minimum experience of 3-5 years in marketing, communications or public relations with exposure to the nonprofit sector and/or to development/fundraising
• Strategic thinker, able to connect data points and stories to overall messaging platform
• Strong writing/editing skills required
• Strong verbal communications skills
• Strong understanding of web and related technology and its use as a communications tool
• We’re a small staff so you must be able to work within our team, and with our volunteers and board members.
• Interested in cancer research
• Relationship builder
• Ability to manage projects
• Ability to work on several projects at one
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & PowerPoint) and Windows-based PC skills required; HTML, Word press and Adobe software skills a plus
• You will be expected to work evenings and weekends.
If you’re interested in this opportunity and meet the requirements, please reply with your resume and cover letter detailing how your experience maps to the specific responsibilities of the position.
Advice to prospective candidates: This is a marketing position, and your resume and cover letter are your opportunities to market yourself for this position. Your application will be evaluated accordingly, so give as much attention and detail to content, spelling and grammar as you would if you were in the job.