Canary Foundation, based in Palo Alto, is the world’s first non-profit organization dedicated solely to the funding, discovery, and development of tests for early cancer detection, and is seeking an experienced Operations Manager. This is an essential position that supports a 7-person office and is responsible for all finance, accounting, payroll, and grant tracking operations associated with the Foundation’s $1 million operating budget. In addition, the Operations Manager will oversee the human resources and administrative aspects of the Foundation.
This is a key position responsible for day-to-day operations, bookkeeping, payroll and benefits, and logistical support for events. Position is full-time although highly experienced part-time candidates may be considered.
Under the supervision of Canary’s Executive Director (ED), the Operations Manager is responsible for the following areas:
• Manage administrative systems and files, including financial records, personnel records, donor records, and vendor contracts and relationships
• Help maintain computers and network, and serve as liaison with IT consultants
• Maintain office supplies, office equipment, and office organization
• Manage insurance policies and contracts
• Negotiate office space and maintain communication with landlord
• Provide reception & on-site support for any events as needed
• Participate in and take notes at staff meetings
• Assist Canary staff and programs with event logistics and administrative tasks, such as copying/printing flyers, organizing mailings, and filing
• Oversee the day-to-day implementation and processing of Canary Foundation’s grants and contracts, as well as the day-to-day processing of accounts receivable and payable, using QuickBooks accounting software
• Direct annual budgeting and planning process for the Foundation's annual budget with the ED and senior staff
• Provide monthly reconciliations of bank accounts, investments, and other balance sheet activities.
• Fulfill reimbursement requests.
• Ensure that accounting requests are resolved and communicated in a timely manner to internal and external parties.
• Develop, maintain, and monitor all systems and procedures capturing all fundraising donations and pledges, deposits, billings, and receipts.
• Record all revenue and expense transactions.
• Prepare annual audit with Canary Foundation CPA and ensure all appropriate back-up documentation for annual audit preparation.
• Manage payroll, conduct monthly review of staff timesheets, and track paid time off
• Manage health, retirement and other benefits plans, including adding and removing employees, and reporting other changes, assist employees in accessing benefits
• Orient and enroll new employees in payroll and benefits, and make changes when needed
• Administer personnel policies and provide orientations to new staff
• Update personnel policies as needed and coordinate full review of policies every 3 years
Executive and Development Assistance
• Provide administrative support to the Executive Director, Director of Development, Founder & Board of Directors
• Work closely with the ED, DOD and Database Manager on invoicing and payments of donations, gift acknowledgements and registration for donor events
• Maintain donor files
• Assist with various fundraising activities
Requirements and Qualifications: The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant major and/or at least 5 years experience in financial and office management, including accounting, bookkeeping, budgeting, and payroll, or a relevant Master’s degree and 2 years of experience. Also required are excellent computer skills with proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, QuickBooks, and database maintenance and management; knowledge of tax and other compliance implications for non-profit organizations; strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and a collaborative work style. A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace is also important.
Compensation and Benefits: Canary Foundation offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, with a benefits package. Canary Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply: Applications should include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. The position is open immediately, start date negotiable and will be open until filled.