Esalen Institute, the pioneering alternative education center dedicated to personal and social transformation, is currently seeking a full-time Information Systems (IS) Manager to join our information services team, based in the Esalen’s Carmel Center.
This IS Manager will be responsible for providing leadership and management to the IS department for Esalen. Key responsibilities will include developing and delivering technology solutions, managing the IS team and driving to high levels of customer satisfaction.
Our ideal candidate will be a seasoned Information Technology professional with proven hands-on experience of managing a team to deliver the complete range of technological solutions of an IS function, and have an appreciation for the Esalen mission and unique community based environment.
This position will be responsible for managing and delivering all facets of an IS function, including:
• Reporting to executive management for the complete accountability of the IS function.
• Developing IS plans and strategies.
• Executing to the IS plans and strategies to deliver projects and IS operational activities to plan, to budget and on time.
• Managing a team of up to four people, delegating work, holding accountability, and providing individual and team development, coaching and direction.
• Managing external vendors, partners and contracts.
• Participating in the Governance process to provide business case and justification for new projects, establishing approvals and reporting results and status for approved projects.
• Providing overall technology subject matter expertise.
• Developing standards and processes to drive the IS function to greater efficiencies.
• Ability to provide hands on technical support in a Mac environment.
Schedule & Availability
The full-time based management position requires work from both the Esalen’s Carmel Center and the main Esalen property in Big Sur.
Qualities for Consideration
• Management of an information systems department in a similar environment including supervisory experience, team leading and management.
• Strong technical background, experience and interest: must have experience providing IT support in a Mac business/enterprise or education environment.
• Clear communication and willingness to relate to others, to listen and hear concerns in a patient and supportive manner; effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Expert problem-solver able to accurately analyze challenges, develop resolution plans and solve problems in a well organized and managed way.
• Strong work ethic to carry projects from planning through to completion and implement solutions to plan, to budget with a high level of customer satisfaction.
• Strong analytic, organizational skills and leadership capability.
• Community interest and involvement necessary to work, adapt, and thrive in Esalen’s unique professional and social environment.
Core Skills Desired
• Problem solving, project planning, business analysis and project management
• Web project management experience
• Mac OS X and Mac OS X applications (client and server) including VM Ware, Shared Calendars and Contacts, Open Directory, Microsoft Office, Profile Manager, Filemaker, Filemaker Server, etc.
• Experience with and solid understanding of networking including switches, firewalls, VM Ware, WAPs, VLANS, etc
• Knowledge of phone systems including PBX and/or VoIP
• Familiarity with open source technologies
• Apple OS X technical certifications are preferred
• Filemaker data base experience and familiarity preferred
This position includes competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants.
Please submit resume, including cover letter, detailing your qualifications, experience, and interest by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: Open until filled.