Larkin Street Youth Services
Chief of Programs
Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct the search for a Chief of Programs for Larkin Street Youth Services, a successful youth-oriented social service organization located in San Francisco, CA. This strategic position reports to the Executive Director of the organization and participates as an active member of the senior management team.
ABOUT LARKIN STREET YOUTH SERVICES
Since 1984, Larkin Street Youth Services has been committed to helping San Francisco’s most vulnerable youth ages 12-24 to move beyond street life. This commitment has fueled the development of a comprehensive continuum of services that is nationally recognized as a model of innovative and effective care. They offer stability, safety, and the opportunity for a better life.
Larkin Street’s continuum provides a range of housing options—from immediate emergency shelter to permanent supportive housing—in addition to essential wraparound services that offer homeless youth the resources and skills they need to exit street life. Supportive services include education, technology and employment training; healthcare, including mental health, substance abuse, and HIV services; and case management.
In collaboration with the Executive Director, the Chief of Programs is the organization’s lead strategic executive for our service continuum ensuring the successful execution of all organizational programs and services. In addition to program leadership responsibilities, the Chief of Programs provides instructive staff mentorship and guidance, conducts strategic analysis, and makes educated recommendations to better position the agency in the youth services communities.
Summary of Responsibilities:
• The Chief of Programs oversees the development, consistent implementation, operation, and effectiveness of all Larkin Street programs while demonstrating fidelity to Larkin Street’s model of care.
• Provides supervision and professional development to the Division Directors while ensuring a high degree of autonomy and accountability.
• Acts as a senior change agent responsible for the development, implementation, and integration of new program initiatives.
• Ensures the successful integration of Larkin Street programming and operational divisions, in collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer, Chief Development Officer, Chief of Research and Evaluation, and Director of Human Resources.
Specific Job Duties:
1.) Program Oversight & Leadership
• Oversees the operation of the all agency programs through the Program Directors.
• Manages and provides supervision to Program Directors.
• Provides opportunities for ongoing professional development to members of the team in coordination with the Director of Human Resources.
• Demonstrates leadership in the ongoing internal and external evaluation of all agency programs.
• Oversees grant reporting and the operational budget for all agency programs. Total Agency Budget: $14.5 million. Total Program Budget: $12 million.
• Provides leadership and demonstrated experience in the integration of programs.
2.) Program Development
• Oversees the design, development, and implementation of expanding agency service streams in a manner that both advances the agency’s mission and is in alignment with the organization’s strategic plan.
• Oversees the review and planning of programs, and evaluates the design and implementation of program components.
• Translates practice to policy with a clear understanding of collected program data maximizing its effective use.
3.) Agency Leadership & Management
• Acts as a role model for leadership and direction to all agency personnel.
• Promotes the advancement of the agency mission on behalf of homeless and runaway youth both internally and externally.
• Contributes to the ongoing integration of all agency departments.
• Professionally and effectively represents the agency to external resources, including funding sources, media, other service providers and government/civic contacts.
• Collaborates with and assists other members of the Senior Management Team on agency projects as needed.
4.) Professional Standards
• Maintains professional levels of performance, demeanor, and appearance at all times.
• Performs tasks and responsibilities in a complete and timely manner.
• Complies with agency policies and standards, conforming to scheduling requirements of programs and other position responsibilities.
• Demonstrates the ability to work with diverse staff and excel in a multi-cultural environment.
• Upholds a creative, team-centric and cooperative approach to job performance, and aims to contribute a constructive, problem-solving orientation to all tasks.
• Maintains an awareness of the agency’s mission and work, promoting the positive, individual, and social change goals it embodies.
• Exercises discretion and professional judgment at all times in keeping with the responsibilities carried personally and by the agency for the care and welfare of youth and families, and staff.
• Actively strives to upgrade personal and professional skills through engaging in appropriate professional training and experience.
• A minimum of eight years of progressive management experience.
• Master’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Public Policy, Nonprofit Management, or relevant field preferred.
• A familiarity in working with health, poverty issues, homeless youth and/or adults through work as a service provider, policy maker, or advocate with sufficient experience to understand the field and the politics.
• Extensive experience in the management and development of multiple programs and program sites, and supervising experienced program directors.
• Prior experience with project leadership and fundamentals, e.g. goal setting, work planning, prioritization, time management, human resource management, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to create and implement quality programs, and ensure compliance with external funders and regulatory bodies.
• Successful prior experience in leadership supervision, training, large budget management, and strategic leadership.
• Ability to demonstrate a high level of strategic thinking through excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Familiarity with issues related to youth centered services.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Larkin Street Youth Services offers a wonderful working atmosphere, a competitive base salary, and full benefits including—medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance, and employee assistance. There are also ten annual paid agency holidays (1/2 day Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve), two floating holidays, and employees accrue three weeks of vacation in their first year with the agency.
HOW TO APPLY
Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct this search. For immediate consideration please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Scion Executive Search via email to email@example.com.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and successes can be found online at www.nonprofitexecutivesearchfirm.com.