Position Title: Senior Development Manager, Boston
Founded in 1999, BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to excite and propel disengaged, low-income students through high school to college success. We believe that the power of student ideas in action drives youth to reach their fullest potential in school and beyond. Our four-year high school program offers a unique blend of entrepreneurship, academics, and personal support that attracts and motivates many students who are otherwise at high risk of failing classes and dropping out of high school.
Our students develop their own business ideas, write business plans, pitch to funders, and launch real businesses. This real-world business experience makes school relevant and motivates disengaged youth to succeed. To help them become college-eligible, students also receive individualized academic support and advising for their school-work and college planning.
BUILD currently serves over 1,000 high school students at programs located in East Palo Alto and Oakland, CA; Washington DC; and Boston, MA. For more information see: www.build.org.
The Senior Development Manager will be responsible for designing and implementing the Boston region’s annual and long-range strategy for securing gifts from a variety of sources, including foundations, corporations, individuals and events. With an initial annual goal of $500K, the Senior Development Manager will build relationships with new donors and cultivate relationships with existing donors to inspire support from a diverse range of constituent groups in order to execute BUILD’s overall fundraising strategy.
Since BUILD–Greater Boston is a relatively new site still in start-up mode, the Senior Development Manager will play an integral role in putting new systems in place, forging new relationships, and building a pipeline of new donors, foundations, and corporate partners. This position requires a high-level of drive and passion for our work, and the ability to operate in a high-energy, entrepreneurial environment where innovation and creativity are valued and expected.
This position will report to the Boston Regional Executive Director and will be supported by BUILD’s national development department.
• Research and write grant proposals.
• Design, oversee and effectively implement individual donor fundraising strategy and program in the Boston region.
• Collaborate with the Regional Executive Director and the national development team to execute the fundraising strategy that supports significant growth in the region and long term sustainability.
• Initiate, cultivate, manage, and steward relationships with the organization’s portfolio of foundation, corporate, and individual donors.
• Strategically leverage the time of the Boston Regional Executive Director and other senior leaders to support aggressive fundraising targets, including developing the capacity of the Board and Development Committee to execute the development goals.
• Create and execute a comprehensive corporate engagement strategy, including sponsorship opportunities and civic engagement.
• Effectively manage and track donor cultivation activities in the Raisers Edge database and deliver reports that engage and inform members of the Senior Management Team, the Local Advisory Board, and the Board Development Committee in the results of development efforts.
• Oversee planning and execution of cultivation/recognition events and activities, including the annual fundraiser.
• Collaborate internally on special projects and provide leadership on cross-functional teams.
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• At least 4-6 years of related experience with demonstrated success in cultivating, soliciting and closing gifts from a variety of constituents.
• Prior experience designing and implementing comprehensive fundraising plans for all funding streams including individuals, corporate, foundation, events and annual giving.
• Strong familiarity with the philanthropic and broader donor community in Boston.
• Strong commitment to youth and education.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
• Interpersonal Skills: Use a variety of techniques, as appropriate, to connect with others to build positive relationships.
• Strategic Thinking: Take into account and analyze various points of view/relationships and pieces of data to form a perspective appropriate to a particular context/network.
• Persuasive Communication: Plan and deliver oral and written communications that make an impact and persuade their intended audiences.
• Targeting the Message to Audience: Ascertain the priorities of a particular individual or group and craft persuasive written or verbal communication given those priorities.
• Thoroughness: Ensure that one's own and others' work and information are complete and accurate; carefully prepare for meetings and presentations; follow up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
• Building Collaborative Relationships: Develop, maintain and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance and support.
• Diagnostic Information Gathering: Identify the information needed to clarify a situation, seek that information from appropriate sources, and use skillful questioning to draw out the information, when others are reluctant to disclose it.
• Location: Boston, MA
• Travel: Ability to participate in evening/weekend events and to travel regionally as required; able to travel to Headquarters located in California (Bay Area) at least 1-2 times per year.
• Frequent travel to meetings and local sites is required so employees must have their own vehicle for transportation (valid proof of insurance required).
• Exempt, full-time, permanent position
Salary Range: $55-$60K. BUILD offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to all full-time employees, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts and a 403(b) plan. In addition, BUILD employees are eligible for paid vacation, sick time, 10 paid holidays per year, and a flexible work environment.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please include how you learned of the opening and your salary requirements.
The position is now open and we will begin to review resumes immediately. Please be advised that you will receive an automated acknowledgement of your application. We will contact all applicants that meet the minimum requirements of the role. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.