Senior Director of Development (Fundraising Mgr 2), L&S College Relations
UC Berkeley - Main Campus
UC Berkeley is consistently ranked as the best public university in the world, and it places strongly in the top five institutions internationally, public or private. Berkeley's largest college, and one of the most prestigious academic units in the UC system, is the College of Letters & Science. L&S currently seeks a Senior Director of Development to join its team of fundraising professionals. The individual chosen will be a leader of proven accomplishment, high energy, and resilient imagination who will spearhead the College's development efforts relating to the Arts & Humanities and the Social Sciences.
Last year, the College raised a record amount of private donations, totaling nearly $60 million. We are seeking a dynamic individual to help us sustain and surpass this level of excellence and accomplishment. A proven track record is essential, as is a willingness to work collaboratively with Berkeley faculty, colleagues across the campus, and particularly with two energetic and ambitious academic deans. Candidates must bring a history of building strong relationships with donors and an instinct to go the extra mile to engage new donors and to help existing supporters deepen their relationship with the College in ways that are meaningful and motivating.
This is a complex position that will provide unparalleled opportunities for growth. Berkeley is currently in the final phase of a $3 billion capital campaign, with approximately $2.6 billion committed. The College of Letters & Science has been an integral part of this success, with well over $400 million of new funding secured during the campaign for the College and the myriad of research programs led by its faculty. The new Senior Director will be part of a team that defines new opportunities through the end of the campaign and well beyond for alumni, parents and other friends to help Berkeley sustain academic excellence in an era when philanthropy will be integral to our success. This is an opportunity to join a solid, successful, forward-thinking fundraising effort in one of the most rewarding intellectual environments in the world. Come help Berkeley define the new era of greatness in public higher education.
- Cultivate and advance relationships with 125-150 high profile major gift prospects at various stages of their relationship with Cal whose capacity to give is $100,000 or more.
- Raise at least $2 million per year from the above-mentioned portfolio of qualified donors and contribute to fulfillment of L&S’ fundraising goals.
- Utilize knowledge of donor prospecting techniques to identify viable prospects and cultivate new relationships that increase portfolio size.
- Develop long- and short-term strategies to achieve divisional fundraising goals.
- Lead the Arts and Humanities and Social Sciences development team effort, working with others to set fundraising goals and assess progress.
- Evaluate programs using financial feasibility studies and market research, and provide input for stewardship reports to donors.
- Collaborate with various members of the College Relations team on other activities (such as events, gift recognition and reporting, etc.) that support the College’s principal and major gift activities.
- Collaborate with colleagues in other campus units to advance coordinated strategies for multi-interest and multi-disciplinary donors/gifts.
- Serve as a lead development professional in the Arts & Humanities and Social Sciences divisions, collaborating with Deans; conveying knowledge and working with them to help them achieve their program goals.
- Minimum of 8 years of high-level performance in principal and major-gift fundraising; a full understanding of complex gift structuring and a broad familiarity with capital giving principles and practices.
- Relevant field experience in building prospect portfolios; knowledge of how to research, identify, and cultivate new donor prospects.
- Successful track record in building strong professional relationships with major gift donors, Deans and other key faculty and staff.
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills; ability to effectively interact in multiple professional contexts, as well as the ability to self-motivate and work independently.
- Ability to develop persuasive written materials from diverse, unstructured written and oral information.
- Understanding of how to motivate and guide the efforts of a fundraising team.
- Comfort in high-pressure, fast-paced environments; managing multiple projects simultaneously and maintaining a sense of professional decorum.
- Bachelor's degree and first-hand knowledge of academic communities.
- Some evening and weekend hours, as well as occasional travel.
- The ideal candidate will possess advanced knowledge of fundraising in a campaign with a concentration in the areas of Social Sciences and/or Arts and Humanities (preferred).
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $89,800 up to $155,000. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
First Review Date: Open until filled
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying through jobs.berkeley.edu click on ‘Job Listings’ followed by ‘External Applicants’, and then search for job number 14659.
Additional Information: This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
The University of California, Berkeley is one of the world's leading universities in research, teaching, and public service. The campus employs 2,028 faculty and over 14,000 staff in more than 130 academic departments and interdepartmental groups, libraries, museums and more than 65 interdisciplinary research units contribute to this dynamic and vital research and teaching environment.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a diverse working environment, competitive salaries, and comprehensive benefits.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency