The Communications Manager is directly responsible for developing and implementing the messaging and media strategy of PCY, including creating a communications plan to advance PCY’s agenda, build public support and win policy victories. Successful candidates will be values driven, self-motivated, detail oriented, resourceful, and have experience in communications and advocacy. They will be able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment that requires adaptability to shifting priorities, a keen sense of urgency, and a commitment to excellence. Responsibilities: Strategy - Develop, articulate, and oversee implementation of a strategic plan for communications. - Identify opportunities for organizational growth and lead strategies to take advantage of these opportunities, including internal systems and processes. -Work collaboratively with other departments to create marketing and communications strategies to support their goals. Content Development - Provide written content and messaging for press-releases, brochures, publications, newsletters, website content and speaking opportunities. -Support PCY’s fundraising efforts by producing content for grants, proposals, and other funder materials. - Graphically design PCY’s print and web materials. Media Relations - Forge meaningful partnerships with a wide range of local and statewide outlets; build increasing coverage of PCY, our partners, and our issues. - Manage media relations (inflow and outreach) and ensure message consistency across channels. - Arrange special events that may facilitate media coverage of issues relevant to the goals of the organization. Online Management - Maintain PCY’s social media platforms and strategically grow our online reach. - Manage PCY’s website content and design; produce regular email communications. - Optimize online marketing channels. Other duties as needed and assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a four-year university with a degree in communications, public relations or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 4-6 years experience working on strategic communications, public affairs, and/or advocacy efforts.
- Ability to direct strategic campaigns and conceive core messages that drive marketing objectives in the not-for-profit or private sector.
- Experience with Joomla, Salesforce, Salsa, PowerPoint and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Organized and flexible.
- Experience developing effective collateral and promotional materials.
- Capacity to work independently and also to build consensus and work effectively within a cross-departmental team.
- Skilled at social media strategy and implementation.
- Experience at a non-profit public policy organization, on a campaign, or Capitol Hill is desirable.
- Commitment to the values and mission of PCY.