This job is no longer available
Director of Development & Communications
Kidango | Fremont CA 94538 USA | Full Time | Posted: 11/14/2012
Director of Development & Communications
Directs Development and Communications Department, increases community awareness of agency services, develops funding for agency services, oversees client enrollment, eligibility and compliance, and provides support for overall operation of agency. Provides leadership to the organization's efforts to obtain financial and other support to sustain its work, including planned, annual and deferred giving; approaches to individuals, foundations and corporations. Manages the overall marketing and promotional functions to construct and market an appropriate image, develop ties with the community and achieve membership/participation goals. Must have the ability to effectively manage department budgets. Participates as a member of the senior management team to formulate and implement policies and plans to meet the organization's short and long term objectives. One of the main objectives of this position is to plan and ensure the implementation of the cultivation, education, solicitation, recognition and retention of major donor prospects and to be primarily involved with major donors/donor prospects on a regular basis.
1. Directs fund and resource development for agency. Create and implement annual development plan and strategy collaboratively. Under direct supervision from the Executive Director develop an implementation strategy to grow Agency individual donor base. Develop annual plan for donor portfolio. Monitor annual plan results and modify as necessary. Develop an infrastructure that can be sustained long term.
2. Develops department goals, annual fundraising plan and measureable outcomes. Build long-term relationships with donors and prospects, identifying, cultivating and stewardship of their interests. Solicit donations from major donors and prospects, both independently and working collaboratively with other solicitors including but not limited to the Executive Director and Board of Directors. Schedule, manage and regularly attend donor meetings. Develop strategies for the cultivation and stewardship of individual major donors and prospects. Build, maintain and maximize institutional relationships with major donors and prospects.
3. Serves as the staff liaison to the Board of Directors Fund Development committee. Engage Board of Directors in fundraising efforts, working with the President, Executive Director and appropriate program staff. Assists the Board with recommending and researching potential new members.
4. Directs annual fundraising events calendar. Oversees the management of databases and all records, files, and gift processing. Manages the pledge reminder and acknowledgement programs.
5. Must have the ability to learn Raisers Edge software system; build donor database from ground up; utilize existing software system to full capacity.
6. Directs the agency's grant application priorities in coordination with the Grants Manager to secure initial and continued funding for agency.
7. Coordinates with Grants Manager, Executive Director and Directors of Departments in developing funding requests and proposals.
8. Reviews final drafts of grant applications.
9. Researches and oversees potential funding opportunities including other business income for the agency.
10. Provides required reports and documentation to funding sources, public agencies and the Board of Directors.
11. Meets with businesses, organizations, and funders to present agency information and request various forms of support. Meets with businesses, organizations, and funders to present agency information and request various forms of support. Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential corporate & foundation sponsors, and individual donors.
Communications & Marketing
12. Oversees internal and external communications from the Development & Communications Department and the Executive Director.
13. Develops department goals, annual marketing campaigns and measurable outcomes. Develops the department's strategic plan, which addresses critical issues in the marketing and communications area. The plan will set out objectives for each strategic area of the department and outlines plans for achieving those objectives.
14. Develops and manages annual advertising budget.
15. Directs all advertising contracts in collaboration with the Marketing Communications Associate.
16. Directs agency branding to increase community awareness. Develops a marketing strategy that effectively markets the agency and educates the public in terms of issues and maximizes the organization's fundraising efforts.
17. Directs program marketing to potential families and community members to increase client enrollment.
18. Networks with other community organizations and corporations to optimize agency resources.
19. Represents the agency to the community and serves as a spokesperson in the media and at events. Develops and maintains a strong and productive relationship with both print and electronic media. Ensures the organization is understood by the media and the media are interested in presenting information to the public in a manner that informs and educates them on the organization.
20. Provides ongoing media training to the management team and volunteers. Ensures management and volunteers have the skills and confidence to deliver appropriate messages during interviews with the media.
21. Manages the agency's crisis communication plan.
22. Keeps abreast of all trends in the industry.
23. Performs other related duties as assigned.
24. Key competencies include: judgment, decision-making, information management, planning and organizing, problem analysis and problem solving, delegating tasks and responsibility, motivating staff, communication, coaching, teamwork, flexible.
25. Responsible for hiring, training supervision and evaluations of staff in department and training of other staff and volunteers as needed by agency. This includes but is not limited to communicating expectations of agency to staff supervised and following up to ensure understanding and compliance. Set employee goals and objectives. Effectively manage the Development and Communication department by setting employee goals, objectives, measurable performance outcomes and following up with direct feedback and performance evaluations.
26. Develops and maintains personnel budget for the department.
27. Works to streamline policies, procedures and systems to ensure efficient department processes.
28. Collaborates with the agency director team in strategic planning and program review.
29. Provides direct support to Executive Director.
30. Plan and implement procedures and systems to maximize operating efficiency.
31. Works as a member of the agency team by promoting the mission and philosophy of the agency.
32. Provides excellent customer service to all staff, clients, and contacts of agency.
33. Advocates on behalf of all children, families, and staff of agency.
34. Maintains confidentiality of children, families and staff.
35. Participates in activities that further professional growth of self and staff.
HOW TO APPLY: Please visit www.kidango.org to fill out an online application/applicant's statement
(http://kidango.org/kidangoOpportunities.html -- scroll to bottom of page)
|Location||Fremont, CA, 94538, United States|
|Travel Required||10% of the time|
|Categories||Children's Services, Education, Foundation/Grant-making/Philanthropy/Volunteerism|
|Certifications||CORE COMPETENCIES • Skilled at social emotional relationships with staff, families, children and the community. • Works as a member of the agency team by promoting the mission and philosophy of the agency. • Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of people. • Provides excellent customer service to all staff, clients, and contacts of agency. • Advocates on behalf of all children, families, and staff of agency. • Fundraises and seeks opportunities to optimize and increase agency resources. • Maintains confidentiality of children, families and staff. • Participates in activities that further professional growth of self and staff. • Strong oral, written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with people from a wide range of backgrounds. • Strong computer skills. • All other duties as assigned by the Deputy Director, Executive Director and/or any designee of the Executive Director. QUALIFICATIONS • BA/BS degree or equivalent required. Master's degree preferred. • Minimum of two years' work experience in a similar position. Two years' work experience supervising others preferred. Experience highly preferred in the following areas: Non-Profit fundraising or external relations with experience in major gifts, experience working with volunteers, volunteer leadership, and professional program staff, strong initiative and self-motivation, and a keen interest in working as part of a collaborative team. • Must have working knowledge of Raisers Edge software or comparable donor management software. Strong oral, written, and computer skills. Outstanding interpersonal skills; excellent research skills • Ability to work effectively and use a positive approach with a diversity of people • Ability to provide leadership, accept responsibility, work independently and set own goals in a professional manner. • Ability to work on a variety of tasks simultaneously and able to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends. OTHER REQUIREMENTS • Must be 18 years or older • Health screening, TB and fingerprint clearance (Department of Justice, FBI, Child Abuse Index) • Possession of a valid California Driver's License or California ID. Use of an insured, non-agency vehicle (if applicable). • CPR and First Aid Certificate and Infectious Disease Prevention training or completion within three months of hire. (As required by Licensing) • Travel as needed to agency, community and state functions.|
|Contact Name||Rishi Babbar|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Director of Development & Communications|