REPOST--no need to re-apply, NEW APPLICANTS ONLY.
Senior Communications Associate (Two positions in New York, NY; one in Oakland, CA)
Salary commensurate with experience
This professional-level position, available immediately, is an exciting opportunity to join the staff at PolicyLink. PolicyLink is a national research and action institute advancing economic and social equity by Lifting Up What Works®. PolicyLink connects the work of people on the ground to the creation of sustainable communities of opportunity that allow everyone to participate and prosper. Such communities offer access to quality jobs, affordable housing, good schools, transportation, and the benefits of healthy food and physical activity. For more information, please visit our website at: www.policylink.org.
The senior communications associate (SCA) works in partnership with PolicyLink program teams, using communications tools to achieve policy goals and create opportunities for people of color and low-income communities. These communications tools include strategic communications, framing and messaging, media relations, social media, and writing and editing.
• Provide strategic communications counsel to PolicyLink project teams that include staff and frequently external partners; develop communications strategies that support policy agendas at the state or federal level.
• Work with PolicyLink communications team to integrate use of social media and all communications strategies across all programs and projects.
• Implement print, broadcast, and online media tools to achieve program goals and enhance PolicyLink image and identity as a leader in advancing economic and social equity.
• Monitor and assess media coverage related to PolicyLink issue areas to plan and implement media strategies.
• Write or edit reports, articles, press releases and advisories, fact sheets, talking points, Op- Eds, blog posts/web content, letters to the editor, and commentaries.
• Stay current and informed about policy developments related to PolicyLink issue areas to identify appropriate media hooks, be an avid reader and keen observer of politics and policy strategy, and be experienced in framing issues and developing messages.
• BA degree; minimum five years’ experience in nonprofit communications, experience with policy advocacy desired; earlier journalism experience a plus.
• Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills.
• Demonstrated capacity for critical, independent, and creative thinking.
• Experienced in using social media in advocacy campaigns.
• Passion for social justice and appreciation for the role of policy in addressing the needs of low- income people and communities of color.
• Well-organized, hard worker, able to work well under pressure and meet shifting deadlines.
• Sense of humor, able to work as part of a team in developing and implementing strategies, appreciation of the value of all kinds of diversity, good interpersonal skills, and willingness to travel occasionally.
• Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
Send Résumé and Cover Letter with salary requirement to:
PolicyLink—Senior Communications Associate Search Committee
55 West 39th Street, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10018 or
Fax to (510) 663-4358 or email to email@example.com (include subject line: “[Your name] (Senior Communications Associate)”. Position open until filled.
Excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, vision and dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan.
Please note: No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
PolicyLink is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace.