This job is no longer available
Center for Biological Diversity | Tucson AZ 85705 USA | Full Time | Posted: 11/26/2012
Tucson, Arizona - Preferred; Other Locations Considered
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a dynamic, energetic full-time Development Director. This position reports directly to the Assistant Executive Director and works closely with the Executive Director and senior leadership team. The Development Director will be responsible for overseeing the Center’s Development Program, including Membership, Major Gifts, Planned Giving and Grants.
Ideally the Development Director would be located in the Center’s main office in Tucson, Arizona. However, we are open to considering candidates who are located elsewhere in the United States who would be available to make frequent visits to Tucson while working remotely the majority of the time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Regular duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Plan, lead and direct the Center’s overall development efforts to raise an annual budget of $8.5 million.
• Work closely with the Assistant Executive Director and Executive Director to create and implement annual and long-term development plans and strategies.
• Increase the Center’s capacity to raise funds from foundations and major donors for current and future programs.
• Enhance fundraising productivity through efficient data management, cultivation and solicitation system, and increased solicitation.
• Work with the Membership Director and the Assistant Executive Director to develop and grow the Center’s current individual donor base of 40,000 people; manage and expand annual giving campaigns.
• Cultivate and directly solicit major individual and foundation gifts.
• Assist in writing proposals and reports for foundations and individual funders.
• Coordinate with Communications Program to develop and implement comprehensive marketing and public-relations strategies to creatively maximize fundraising and development marketing in print, email and Web content.
• Work closely with the Finance Program to track and analyze development expenses, income and trends, and to regularly produce reports on development activities for the Assistant Executive Director, Executive Director and Board of Directors.
• Increase the participation of staff and board in fundraising activities through providing leadership, keeping them up to date, and training.
• Directly supervise three positions, including Membership Director, Grant Writer and Major Gifts Associate.
• Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; reviewing staff performance; tracking vacation; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Candidates for this position must have:
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Five to 10 years of nonprofit fundraising experience and/or direct sales or business development experience in a service industry.
• Proven track record of achieving revenue targets.
• Proven management and leadership capabilities.
• Thorough understanding of foundation and major donor fundraising, and experience working with top-level donors and foundation program officers.
• Strong writing and verbal communications skills including those related to fundraising, annual report, newsletter and proposal writing.
• Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate and manage new donors and funders.
• Propensity to work with high energy, a high degree of initiative and from a positive perspective while maintaining flexibility, willingness to work in teams, and attention to detail.
• Excellent computer skills; knowledge of database programs.
Other characteristics of candidates that are preferable include:
• Understanding of environmental issues.
• Understanding of nonprofit administration.
• Experience with legacy, bequest, planned giving and membership fundraising.
Salary commensurate with similar non-profit positions. The Center offers an excellent benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match.
Application process: To apply, please send a thoughtful cover letter and résumé via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, "Attn: Development Director.” The position will remain open until filled. Desired start date is as soon as possible. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
|Location||Tucson, AZ, 85705, United States|
|Experience Years||5 yrs|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Development Director|