This job is no longer available
Associate Art Director
Achievement First | Brooklyn and New Haven CT NY 11238 USA | Full Time | Posted: 11/26/2012
Associate Art Director
Start Date: Immediate
Team: Marketing & Communications
Location: Brooklyn, NY or New Haven, CT
About Achievement First
Achievement First is a non-profit charter school management organization that is creating a network of achievement-gap-closing public schools in New York, Connecticut and other high-need areas in the Northeast. Achievement First currently operates 22 schools in Brooklyn, NY, and New Haven, Bridgeport and Hartford, CT (and will expand to Rhode Island in 2013). Over the next five years, Achievement First plans to open 10-15 additional schools, spanning the full K-12 spectrum and creating college-prep opportunities for more than 12,000 urban students. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country. For more information about the Achievement First mission, model, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
The successful candidate will be a graphic designer who is passionate about, and has a strong background in, managing all activities, timelines and deliverables to successfully complete a wide range of incoming requests from internal teams, including procedures, approval processes, timelines/schedules, budgets and supervision of support staff and/or vendors. In addition, the associate art director will create, deliver and ensure a consistent identity and tone throughout Achievement First’s visual communications. This position is responsible for conceptualizing, designing and producing communications materials such as print collateral, advertising, signage, environmental graphics and digital/interactive media. The person will report to the senior director, marketing & communications.
Responsibilities of the Associate Art Director include but are not limited to:
• Utilize desktop publishing for the development of internal and external print and digital projects, including the design and production of Achievement First advertising, signage and environmental graphics, newsletters, student and teacher recruitment material, fundraising statements such as the annual report, branded items for staff and events, online assets, and miscellaneous projects
• Act as the liaison with design, photography, printing and SWAG vendors
• Manage the public website and content management system, and implement (with outside developers) new online features
• Ensure that all visual communications pieces are consistent with Achievement First’s brand and graphic standards
• Evaluate the current creative and production processes, recommend improvements and oversee implementation of new procedures
• Work with teams to ensure standards of excellence (i.e., quality, content, pricing)
• Schedule, traffic and prioritize all projects and requests into the team from point of inception through final delivery to ensure the creative concept is adhered to and schedules are met
• Prepare weekly and monthly rundowns to prioritize work; maintain a three-month map of upcoming short-term activities and an annual blueprint of recurring initiatives
• Review the accuracy and completeness of all requests before processing, and work with requestors to complete/correct information
• Provide weekly job status updates to the senior director and requestors, and disseminate timely and ongoing communications regarding all current and planned jobs
• Ensure that design, copy and routing dates are met and that final deliverables reflect the checkpoints approved by requestors
• Support the marketing and communications team, including dotted-line management responsibilities, on the tactical implementation of strategies
• Act as a marketing and communications subject-matter expert for all interactions with stakeholders
• Act as a thought partner on the team’s work (internally and with consultants) around diversity campaigns, student, teacher and school leader recruitment initiatives, AF expansion opportunities, school requests, and Network Support projects across 20 teams and 22 schools
Skills and Characteristics
• Superb experience in project and traffic management on a high-performing and fast-paced team with numerous “trains” that must run on time
• Demonstrated proficiency with Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
• Strong typography skills
• High attention to detail and administration
• Pre-press and production skills a must
• Ability to manage vendors to receive high-quality, well-priced and on-time materials
• Mastery of the design process
• Familiarity with local vendors (print, mail, website, etc.) a plus
• Photography, interactive and illustration skills a plus
• Copy editing/writing and AP Style experience a plus
• Video production and website development a plus
• Must have strong time management skills and remain flexible in order to accommodate multiple projects simultaneously, many with tight deadlines
• Possess a positive and resourceful attitude toward solving problems
• Willingness to work independently and be a team player; strong relationship-building skills within a cross-functional team
• Belief in the Achievement First mission, core values and approach
• Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
• Willing to work extended hours when required
Educational Background and Work Experience
• At least 4-6 years of graphic design, production and account/traffic management experience required. Successful team, project and people management must be demonstrated, as well as a highly sophisticated design skill set, approach and portfolio. Please provide evidence of design know-how and success in planning, organizing, scheduling and creating timelines.
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field a plus.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Some weekend/evening work will be required and some travel between New Haven and Brooklyn will be requested.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three design work samples or a link to an online portfolio to the hyperlink below. To be considered, you must illustrate and explain in your cover letter an alignment to the Achievement First mission, core values and instructional approach.
Mel Ochoa c/o Cailin McDuff
Senior Director, Marketing & Communications
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.
|Location||Brooklyn and New Haven CT, NY, 11238, United States|
|Function||Marketing & Communications|
|Contact Name||Recruitment Team|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Associate Art Director|