The Career Ladders Project (CLP) is seeking a Program Assistant who will provide quality administrative and logistical support to advance educational program and operational goals. This position is full time, non-exempt position.
The Career Ladders Project office is located at 678 13th Street, Suite 200, Oakland, CA 94612. CLP operates under the fiscal sponsorship of the Foundation for California Community Colleges, the non-profit auxiliary for the California Community Colleges.
Through research, policy initiatives and strategic assistance to colleges and their workforce development partners, CLP works to strengthen the role of community colleges in fostering educational and career advancement for Californians. Established by the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges (CCC), CLP works with state leadership and policymakers to promote expansion and replication of successful projects and to identify and implement systemic policy changes that can better support effective practices toward student achievement.
CLP provides assistance to a range of community college-centered programs including the Career Advancement Academies a demonstration project of the CCC Chancellor's Office, the Community College Pathways Project for Foster Youth, the CCC Linked Learning Initiative and other initiatives. More information is available at www.careerladdersproject.org
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides administrative support by scheduling, participating in, and taking notes during meetings; creating, reviewing, organizing, and circulating materials; researching information; transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics
• Provides assistance in maintaining and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; compiling and sorting information; creating, editing, and preparing documentation; supporting multimedia production
• Assists program staff in maintaining communications with colleges, foundations, and other partnering organizations through phone, reporting, conferencing, site visits, events, web-based tool.
• Works closely with the CLP Project Directors in support of program needs; develops multiple and various types correspondences from drafts to final; communicates with instructional and service providers; aids Directors in arranging meetings, contacting stakeholders, organizing materials to meet deadlines and respond to multiple outcomes
• Works closely with the CLP Media Strategist to maintain website and social media sites, maintaining web-based communication tools such as DeskAway, WordPress, and Basecamp
• Provides logistical support and supports coordination of activities and events and makes travel arrangements
• Contributes to team effort by serving on program teams, demonstrating initiative, completing assignments, and accomplishing results as needed
• Provides office support (phones, messages, staffing reception, ordering supplies, etc.) as needed
• Works closely with the Operations Coordinator to perform duties and other activities as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of basic current principles and practices of customer service and business/office operations
• High proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite
• Strong interpersonal communication and relationship building skills
• Demonstrated respect for and ability to work with diverse populations
• Ability to define problems, basic research, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
• Ability to plan meetings, conferences and training sessions with both small and large groups
• Ability to establish, maintain, and update record keeping systems
• Ability to prepare, read, analyze, and interpret general business correspondence
• Ability to assist in the development and updating of content for organizational website and social media as requested
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, comfort in drafting correspondence, proofing documents, and verifying informational and data reports for accuracy and grammar
• Ability to present in a timely manner basic information and convey pertinent information within the organization, business associates, and the general public
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables with autonomy
• Ability to switch rapidly among multiple ongoing tasks
• Demonstrated ability in prioritizing and asserting personal initiative in problem solving, task organization, and time management
• Ability to maintain confidential nature of data and information
Education and Experience
• AA/AS Degree required
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university preferred
• A minimum of one year of program support experience in education and/or the private sector, or its equivalent; community college program or non-profit educational institution setting preferred
• Experience and success in organizing events and travel logistics
• Preferred experience in supporting complex and diverse large scale projects
• Preferred knowledge of postsecondary education systems, workforce development and/or community college career and technical education programs
• Ability to work at a computer workstation for periods up to 4 hours at a time.
• Ability to speak on the telephone for a total of up to 3 hours per day.
• Ability to sit for up to 3 hours without breaks at meetings.
• Ability to walk and stand for up to 4 hours without breaks at program site visits and meetings.
• Ability to lift and move a minimum of 40 pounds
Resumes will be reviewed beginning on November 30th. The application process will be open until the position is filled.
Interested and qualified applicants are asked to submit (a) letter of interest, and (b) résumé including salary history. Submit materials as Word or PDF document by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line: Program Assistant, Career Ladders Project.