Position: Communications Manager
Reports to: Director of Marketing and Communications
The Communications Manager works with the Director of Marketing and Communications to develop and implement all communications activities for The Atlanta Opera.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop and implement strategic and tactical public relations plans to secure local, regional, national and international publicity coverage in print, radio, television and online media outlets for Atlanta Opera productions, special events, and education/outreach programs.
• Respond in a timely fashion to media inquiries and other requests for information and photos.
• Write and distribute news releases, media alerts, PSAs and calendar listings to meet appropriate deadlines.
• Devise and pitch story ideas, coordinate interviews and arrange photo shoots.
• Implement and manage press conferences, media receptions and special promotional events.
• Manage media on-site at rehearsals, performances and special events.
• Work with Atlanta Opera Creative Services Manager to produce media kits and other support materials as needed to promote Atlanta Opera events.
• Ensure “News & Media” section of the Atlanta Opera’s web site is kept up-to-date.
• Hire photographers and videographers for publicity-related events.
• Assist with e-communications planning, copywriting and editing for Atlanta Opera e-blasts, ARIA program book and other marketing collateral materials.
• Cultivate relationships with key media contacts and assist in managing any communications-related consultant relationships.
• Work cooperatively as part of the marketing team and with multiple other departments to promote and generate revenue for Atlanta Opera performances and special events.
• Serve as primary administrator and moderator for all Atlanta Opera social media activities including blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram.
• Develop social media strategies and relevant online conversation topics.
• Keep abreast of changing social media trends to determine appropriate channels for Atlanta Opera social media activities.
• Promote and coordinate Atlanta Opera speaking engagements for organizations such as retirement communities and other groups, Kiwanis/Rotary clubs, corporate and other special events.
• Attend appropriate networking meetings to boost awareness of The Atlanta Opera.
• Coordinate and staff Atlanta Opera booths at local festivals and other similar events.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date media list.
• Maintain public relations budget; track and quantify results of communications efforts.
• Monitor media coverage and media trends to ascertain impact for The Atlanta Opera.
• Provide metrics for tracking effectiveness of all communications efforts.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related discipline
• At least three years work experience in the communications field
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; polished presenting skills a plus
• Demonstrated experience using social media tools
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and achieve results in a timely fashion
• Ability to work collaboratively within marketing team and with multiple departments
• Knowledge of/strong interest in opera, classical music and/or performing arts preferred
Send cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.