Under the general direction of the CEO, the Staff Development Director will be responsible for developing and implementing a Staff and Workforce Development Program at Ravenswood Family Health Center. The Staff Development Director will collaborate with the Executive Management Team of RFHC to ensure that all employees and contractors are fully oriented to RFHC so that their work aligns with the realization of the organization’s Mission and Vision. In addition, the Staff Development Director will be responsible for organizational, team and individual employee career development. Because the program’s development is being funded by a CMS Health Care Innovation Award for the next three years and has strict requirements related to evaluation, the Staff Development Director will have a substantial role in supporting RFHC in meeting the project’s evaluation requirements for the workforce outcomes of the project.
Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Implement a Healthcare Workforce Development Program at RFHC under the CMS Health Care Innovation grant award.
2. Build a Staff Development program at RFHC to serve the organization its staff and contractors that supports effective team work, processes and communication
3. Be a resource to managers and providers on coaching and mentoring their supervisees
4. In collaboration with managers and providers using evidence based tools and strategies
a. Prepare a staff recruitment and retention policy that aligns with RFHC Mission and Vision
b. Developing, revising, Workforce development policies and procedures
c. Workforce development strategic plan and yearly calendar of events/activities
d. Complete the development of a robust new employee/contractor orientation program for the organization and each department
e. Deliver, evaluate and modify the employee/contractor orientation program based on participants feedback
f. Create a skills training program for all job positions
g. Create curriculum for staff skills training
h. Create proficiency testing tools
i. Develop standards for assessing competency for employee positions tied to career advancement
5. Provide coaching and mentoring to employees of RFHC on their individual career development
6. With support from the Staff Development Program Assistant,
a. maintain staff training and development records,
b. research training programs that staff can attend to achieve organizational goals,
c. arrange for and/or implement onsite and offsite staff training programs,
d. conduct employee satisfaction surveys
e. plan the annual staff retreat
7. Lead the Calendar Training Committee in coordinating the annual and monthly calendar of RFHC staff events
8. Coordinate the planning and implementation of the Staff Wellness Program monthly activities
9. Provide support for the planning and implementation of professional and paraprofessional residency and internship programs.
Other Skills and Abilities
• Enthusiastic ambassador for the organization, for the team and workforce development in the health care environment.
• Expansive visionary with intense commitment to vocational development of individual staff.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including compiling and writing meaningful reports.
• Flexible, creative, well organized with ability to multi-task
• Experience working in a team-based environment, including experiencing building and motivating teams
• Solid personal computing skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)to support data collection and reporting.
• Willingness and ability to accept responsibility, work collaboratively as part of a team, make sound judgments, know and work within professional boundaries of skill; communicate with and relate to diverse ethnic groups anda variety of personalities and learning styles
• Ability to work independently, to prioritize, organize and carry out work assignments with minimal supervision.
• Ability to communicate effectively and work directly with patients, physicians, staff, managers, department heads, community organizations and members. Understand and commit to the goals and philosophy of Ravenswood Family Health Center and its mission “to improve the health status of the community we serve by providing high quality, culturally competent primary and preventive health care to people of all ages regardless of immigrations status or ability to pay”.
1. Master’s Degree in Education or related field associated with Adult Learning
2. Minimum of 5 years of experience in Education, Organizational Development, or Job Training with a focus on Adult Career Ladder from non-professional to professional fields of work
3. Demonstrated effective Coaching and Mentoring experience
4. Experience in health care operations and delivery systems desirable
5. Knowledge and experience in developing and implementing curriculum, interactive training environments and proficiency training for paraprofessional and professional staff.
6. Familiarity with Workforce Development Initiatives
7. Knowledge and experience with employee orientations, organizational development best practices, and team development.
8. Knowledge of modern theories of management in the service sector, with a diverse workforce.
9. Knowledge of how to promote and develop leadership abilities with managers.