Job Title: Development Director
Status: Full-Time (40 hrs/week)
Salary: Competitive, D.O.E.
Reports to: Executive Director
Position Summary: This position is responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive development plan and strategy that maximizes funds and resources to support the growth of Hand in Hand’s work. The Development Director is responsible for research, analysis and development of new opportunities for funding and support from individuals, private (foundation and corporate) and public sources. This position will report directly to the Executive Director and will have frequent communication with all staff, Board members, key funders, and a growing base of Hand in Hand Instructors.
One of the main responsibilities of this position is to cultivate current major donors and grow the organization’s donor base.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Fundraising Calendar:
o Work with ED to prepare an annual fundraising plan for approval by Board of Directors through the annual Budget process.
o Communicate the plan to key stakeholders (Staff, Board, Key Funders, Instructors) to develop wide participation.
o Create a calendar of fundraising activities and ensure that all timelines are met.
o Identify and recruit volunteers to support fundraising activities as necessary.
• Major Donor Relations:
o Develop strategies and a plan for the cultivation and stewardship of individual major donors and prospects.
o Identify, engage and activate new major donors..
o Support the ED and Founder in cultivating key donors.
o Establish a calendar of major donor events and communication.
o Ensure timely and appropriate communication to major donors.
o Develop and cultivate a strong relationship with the Board of Directors.
• Fundraising Campaigns:
o Coordinate the execution of all direct mail campaigns.
o Use existing CRM database to create mailing lists that are targeted and effective.
o Work with Communications team to create a comprehensive marketing plan with compelling messages that highlight our mission and goals.
o Work with Comm. team to create complementary online campaigns.
o Manage the website donation program to achieve maximum results on a year-round basis.
o Track and measure results of each campaign.
o Ensure donor acknowledgements are distributed on a timely basis.
• Donor Newsletter:
o Coordinate the creation and mailing of a semiannual donor newsletter.
o Work with staff and instructors to create interesting content.
o Manage appropriate lists for direct and e-mail delivery in a cost-effective manner.
• Fall Fundraising Luncheon:
o Coordinate the production of the annual luncheon.
o Generate and assemble collateral (photos, design templates, testimonials, video interviews) to be used in fundraising appeals.
o Cultivate Table Captains year-round to ensure participation in the luncheon.
o Work with ED and Founder to plan a compelling program and speakers.
o Partner with host facility to plan and execute final event details.
• Annual Report
o Create and distribute an Annual Report for donors and funders.
• Additional Duties, may include, but are not limited to:
o Grant research, preparation, and submission.
o Create additional fundraising opportunities.
o Research and evaluate agency partnerships and sponsorships particularly as it relates to funding.
o Develop training to involve all staff and instructors in Development on a year-round basis.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• BA/BS degree or equivalent experience.
• Commitment to the mission of Hand in Hand Parenting.
• Experience in nonprofit development with focus on individual giving.
• Excellent verbal and written skills with record of creating compelling appeals.
• Skilled project manager able to coordinate efforts among various staff.
• Strong team player with ability to listen well.
• Ability to work evening and weekends as necessary.
• This position requires time in the Palo Alto office. (Limited telecommuting may be possible.)
• Outstanding inter-personal skills and comfortable in public speaking.
• Knowledge of Parenting by Connection preferred.
• Automobile, insurance and valid CA driver’s license or adaptable means to travel sufficiently throughout the Bay Area to accomplish the fundraising goals of Hand in Hand.
• Skilled at emotional relationships with staff, families, children and the community. • Works as a member of the agency team by promoting the mission and philosophy of the agency. • Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of people. • Provides excellent customer service to all staff, clients, and contacts of agency. • Fundraises and seeks opportunities to optimize and increase agency resources. • Maintains confidentiality of all personal information from families, instructors, staff, donors and Board members.
• Participates in activities that further professional growth of self and staff. • Strong oral, written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with people from a wide range of backgrounds. • Strong computer skills.
About Hand in Hand Parenting:
Hand in Hand Parenting, a nonprofit organization based in Silicon Valley since 1989, helps parents of young children in search of practical tools to navigate through universal parenting challenges. Our fresh and effective framework for parenting, called Parenting by Connection, is consistent with all the latest research and results in long-term family success. Hand in Hand has developed a diversified funding approach with earned income, individual donors, major gifts and grants supporting our efforts to teach and support parents. Hand in Hand is currently experiencing a sustained period of planned, strong growth in its program capacity, especially in online programs and classes. Hand in Hand is seeking a seasoned professional to grow our fundraising efforts to match our program growth and build a solid financial foundation for additional future growth.
For more information about the organization and its programs visit our website at www.handinhandparenting.org.
Send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Paul Russell. All submissions must be made by e-mail to Paul@handinhandparenting.org. The position will remain open until filled.