Pratham USA invites resourceful, energetic professionals with proven success in development to apply for the position of Development Officer, Northeast and Midwest.
This position presents a unique opportunity to lead and support philanthropy and have an influential voice in development efforts in support of Pratham’s educational mission. Pratham was founded in 1994 in India with a mission to ensure that “every child is in school and learning well.” Founded in 1999 in the USA and currently with Chapters in 15 major cities across the country, Pratham USA supports and extends Pratham’s mission. Pratham impacts thousands of underprivileged children and young adults in India every year through its innovative educational programs (see www.prathamusa.org).
As member of a small administrative team, the Development Officer is responsible for conceiving and implementing strategies to increase philanthropic support and build Pratham USA’s fund-raising capacity, with an emphasis on expanding the donor base in your geographical region, initiating multi-year giving, planning campaigns, and cultivating individual and corporate donors and sponsors.
The DO’s responsibilities include coordinating development operations in consultation with the Executive Director; serving as a member of Pratham USA’s senior management team; providing direction and support for national development and grant writing efforts; designing, with the ED and team of DOs, the organization’s short and long-term development agenda; working closely with Chapter leaders in your geographical regions; and being articulate, persuasive advocates for Pratham and Pratham USA.
The DO for the Northeast and Midwest will liaise with Chapter Leaders in Boston, Chicago, Washington DC, and NY / Tri State and work with the ED on developing additional donor bases in other major cities in the Northeast and Midwest. The DO will contribute to nurturing and growing the philanthropic culture at Pratham USA and will be the external face of philanthropy and fundraising in your geographical region.
- Manage relationships with current donors and identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward new relationships; identify and research prospects; initiate contacts with potential donors and develop appropriate cultivation strategies; move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; make direct solicitations through face-to-face engagements; manage donor relations beyond high profile events such as annual galas
- Develop and communicate to donors a thorough understanding of Pratham’s programs, establish collaborative and productive relationships with program staff and leadership in India, and become knowledgeable about the Pratham’s priorities, programs, and events
- Build and enhance relationships with approximately 100 - 150 donor prospects; conduct approximately 75 prospect visits per year in your geographic region
- Steward current corporate relations and take them to higher levels of engagement, secure new corporate partners, establish contact with key decision makers, and secure contributions in the form of sponsorships, employee giving campaigns, and/or cause marketing campaigns
- Develop a compelling case for support by Foundations, and liaise with India as well as the senior team on developing, writing, and submitting grant applications
- Work with Chapter Leaders in your geographical region to coordinate Board meetings and donor cultivation meetings and Chapter events and activities, including the annual galas
- Expand Pratham USA’s national footprint by facilitating the growth of new Chapters and donors in additional cities within your geographical area
- Maintain updated and current donor files and prospect management-related information in Sales Force and provide administrative reports to the National Board, Executive Director, and other leaders within the organization, as appropriate
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically while executing tactically in order to meet the organization’s funding goals; ability to follow through on projects and initiatives
- Demonstrated track record of soliciting annual and major gifts and ability to conceptualize, ask for, negotiate, and secure six and seven figure gifts from individuals and corporate donors as well as foundations
- Ability to maintain an appropriate balance between administrative duties and actively cultivating prospects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the proven ability to represent the organization publicly and passionately to potential funders and other partners
- Ability to work in different time-zones in order to address opportunities, and to work independently while also functioning within a small team
- Attention to detail, including organized and systematic donor follow-through and stewardship
- Ability to thrive in a mission-driven environment with a strong culture of volunteer-driven initiatives and strong volunteer leadership nationally and in the Chapters
- Experience with donor databases, preferably Sales Force; proficiency in Constant Contact and prospect research through Wealth Engine
- An understanding of the full range of development programs including annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, planned giving and estate planning, donor stewardship, special events, and volunteer management
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 7 years of experience in strategic fundraising and major gift development, including demonstrated success identifying, cultivating, and closing gifts
- The ability to travel to Chapters and visit with major donors in your geographic regions
- High ethical and professional standards
- Interest in international affairs in general and education in particular, especially India, as well as prior experience with campaigns, foundations, and corporate fund raising
Please send cover letter, resume, salary history as well as expectations, and a list of three confidential references with their e-mail and phone contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Development Officer: Northeast and Midwest” in the subject line of your electronic submission. Review of applications will begin on Dec 8th and continue until an appointment is made.
Pratham USA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.