Are you interested in making a difference in the lives of young students?
Do you have experience in special education or working with students with disabilities?
Would you describe yourself as an energetic, self-starter with lots of new ideas?
If you answered ‘yes’ to the questions above, then the STARS program is looking for you!
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
STARS (Social, Therapeutic, Academic and Recreational Services) is an educational, recreational, and social skills program for youth ages 5-21 who are blind or visually impaired. STARS is operated by the Center for the Visually Impaired, and is located in Midtown Atlanta. STARS positively impacts students’ social and emotional growth from childhood through young adulthood by providing various services, including an afterschool program, summer camps, bi-monthly weekend social activities, and in-school advocacy support. Because STARS works with such a specific population of youth, the program implements the Expanded Core Curriculum (ECC), which has been designed specifically for visually impaired students to aid them in becoming independent, well-adjusted, college and work-ready individuals by the end of their schooling. Examples of ECC classes provided by STARS include: Braille instruction, assistive technology training, independent living skills training, social skills development, and ample opportunities for peer interaction. STARS utilizes the expertise of highly-qualified teachers and activity leaders in order to provide students with valuable learning experiences that will ultimately help them reach success in their academic and personal lives.
• Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, Special Education, Vision Rehabilitation or related field; Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years relevant experience working with people with disabilities; Experience working with blind or visually impaired individuals highly preferred.
• Knowledge and skills in the areas of special education, youth development, afterschool programs and/or community outreach are a plus.
• Must have reliable transportation, or be able to travel independently using public transportation.
• Must be available to work evenings on Tuesdays/Thursdays, and bi-monthly weekend events.
• Individuals who are blind or visually impaired are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Bilingual (Spanish) preferred, but not required.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The STARS team is seeking an energetic, detail oriented individual with experience working with students with disabilities. Under the general supervision of the STARS Program Director, the STARS Counselor assists with the planning and organizing of programs and activities that are developed to enhance the growth and development of visually impaired youth in the areas of social skills and academics. This position is fulltime, 40 hours/week, and the employee’s status will be exempt.
HOW TO APPLY:
• For immediate consideration, please email your cover letter with salary history, resume, and a list of at least 3 references as attachments to: Jobs@cviga.org.
• Cover letters MUST clearly indicate your firsthand work experience with special education and/or people with disabilities.
• Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
• Cover letters and resumes will be reviewed immediately, and interviews will take place immediately until the position is filled.
• No phone calls please.