PRESCHOOL CALIFORNIA, a project of Community Initiatives, is a nonprofit advocacy organization working to ensure all children have the early experiences necessary to be successful learners by the end of third grade, setting them on a path to college and career readiness.
We are seeking a Senior Communications Manager for our Oakland office. The Senior Communications Manager will report to the President and will manage the Communications & Online Advocacy Associate.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead and implement strategic communications efforts at a pivotal time for our organization. Preschool California is currently repositioning itself and formulating a new vision encompassing an expanded focus on birth to third grade, building off of recent education reform successes, including the creation of a new grade, transitional kindergarten.
• Work with team to develop strategic communications plans for the organization’s campaigns. • Coordinate development and refinement of strategic messaging that communicates Preschool California’s policy priorities. • Package messages in compelling communications vehicles and disseminate through various channels, including work with stakeholders, media and online. • Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, and act as a resource for partner organizations. • Cultivate and maintain relationships with media, strategically pitch stories and monitor media coverage of related education issues to identify opportunities. • Supervise Communications & Online Advocacy Associate and related website, social media and email work.
• A Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
• Minimum five years of professional experience, including two or more years in communications.
• Ability to work effectively within and across teams.
• Excellent project management skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to build relationships and interact effectively with diverse stakeholders.
• Thrive in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
• Passion for Preschool California’s mission of setting students on an educational path to college and career readiness.
• Spanish language fluency a plus.
• Availability to work in Oakland and willingness to travel.
Competitive salary based on experience and excellent benefits. Some in-state travel.
Preschool California, a project of Community Initiatives, is proud to be an EEO employer committed to building a diverse workforce. To be considered, please email a cover letter and resume to “Hiring Coordinator” at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Senior Communications Manager” in the subject line. Please, no calls.