Families In Schools (FIS) is a nonprofit organization based in downtown Los Angeles, California, whose mission is to involve parents and communities in their children's education to achieve lifelong success. FIS views the engagement of parents as an essential component in school reform. To achieve its mission, FIS focuses its efforts around three core competencies: Curriculum & Professional Development, Community Engagement & Advocacy, and Nonprofit Sustainability. To learn more about FIS programs and services please visit: www.familiesinschools.org.
FIS seeks a mid-level professional with curriculum and professional development training experience who is interested in supporting the mission, vision, and ongoing development of the organization. The individual will support the program departments in standardizing best practices for parent engagement-based training and curriculum development across all program content areas. In addition, he/she will develop training modules for school/agency staff and parents, field test modules for quality control, and facilitate trainings with both school/agency staff and parents, as needed. The position is full-time and exempt, reporting to the organization's Vice President.
- Develop and maintain the organization's best practices training toolkit to include sample lessons, activities, assessment tools, and outreach/recruitment/program retention strategies for use across all of FIS's pre-K through college program content areas.
- Develop training modules and conduct professional development workshops for school/agency staff related to research-based parent engagement strategies and best practices.
- Assist program directors in developing and/or conducting "train the facilitators" trainings for school staff related to our parent engagement curricula.
- Provide technical assistance support to site-based facilitators trained in FIS parent engagement curriculums via phone, webinars, workshops, etc.
- Update or develop culturally-relevant curriculum and tools related to parent engagement for use by school/agency staff or parents (brochures, lesson-plans, etc.)
- Develop strategic relationships with school districts and education organizations to make trainings and curriculum available to them.
- Represent FIS at conferences and meetings to showcase FIS curriculum and materials.
- Assist in preparing logic models, letters of inquiry, proposals and grant applications when needed.
- Promote FIS, its mission and social impact through external relations.
- Arrange and participate in meetings with funders and/or clients, when needed.
- Manage assigned staff and/or consultants, who are utilized primarily for training, development or other support.
- Provide support to President and Program Directors in the implementation of programmatic activities when necessary.
- Perform other duties as requested and relevant to the organization's operations.
What FIS Offers:
Families In Schools fosters a mission-driven, collaborative work environment where teamwork, communication, excellence, quality, integrity, inquiry and commitment to community are highly valued. We provide employees with professional development and growth opportunities through structured learning and training coupled with project assignments that maximize a diverse and high-functioning skill set. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Company-paid health and dental insurance for employees and dependents after three full months of employment
- 403(b) Group Retirement Annuity with 6% company contribution after 1 year and full vesting after 2 years of full-time employment
- Vacation and sick/personal time
- Paid monthly parking
- 10-paid holidays per year that include 4 flexible holidays and a winter break the last week of December