The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) is a leading nonprofit organization working to strengthen the organic industry. OMRI runs an internationally recognized evaluation program that reviews and lists products for use in producing, processing, and handling organic foods and fiber. OMRI Listed products are deemed appropriate to be used in operations that are certified as organic under the USDA National Organic Program.
Overview of position
We are looking to fill a newly created key position on our team. The Operations Director will be responsible for day-to-day management of several functions including general administration, finance, human resources, and facilities. The Operations Director is a member of the Management Team and supervises the IT Director, Bookkeeper, and Administrative Specialist/Bookkeeping Assistant.
• Administer employees insurance and benefits
• Ensure compliance with HR legal requirements
• Ensure timely and consistent performance evaluations
• Conduct periodic employees surveys
• Oversee recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of new employees
• Maintain long-term staffing plan
• Address staff training and education needs
• Serve as staff liaison to the Personnel Committee of the Board of Directors
• Provide conflict resolution services as needed
• Lead the processes for developing annual budget and budget revisions
• Review monthly financial reports and correct as needed before Executive
• Manage the OMRI reserve account and reserve policy
• Administer OMRI banking and investments
• Monitor and update OMRI's internal controls as needed
• With the Executive Director, analyze and adjust OMRI fees
• Serve as staff liaison to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors
• Manage OMRI office lease and interface with property owner
• Oversee facilities and related operations including security/safety; interior and furnishings; cleaning, repairs and maintenance; telecommunications; contracts, etc.
• Responsible for long-term facilities planning
• With the IT Director, develop and manage IT budget and purchasing
• Understand IT's relationship with other OMRI departments and assist IT Director in identifying priorities and developing work plans
• With the IT Director, responsible for long-term planning
• Responsible for risk management and ensuring that OMRI is adequately insured
• Serve as staff liaison to legal counsel for issues identified by the Executive Director
• Serve as staff liaison to the Bylaws Committee of the Board of Directors
• Participate in development, revision, and update to strategic plan and work plan
• Interview, hire, supervise and manage contractors, as needed
• Serve as a back-up to the Executive Director, as appropriate
Education and formal training
• Bachelor's degree in non-profit management, business, finance, or related field
• MBA preferred
• Minimum of five years in a leadership or management position in a nonprofit environment, including interacting with board and committee members
• Experience managing human resources, payroll and personnel issues
• Experience reading, understanding, analyzing and interpreting financial reports
• Two years working in organic food or agriculture preferred
• Superior written and oral communication skills and emotional intelligence
• Excellent spelling and grammar skills
• Fluency with standard office software (Word, Excel, Access, Internet, and email programs)
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and organize information
• Ability to successfully mediate interpersonal issues
• Ability to work occasional nights and weekends, if required
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally several times each year, if required
• An annual motor vehicle report and proof of auto insurance may be required
• Full-time position with competitive salary and benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, and Retirement Plan).
• Paid vacation and sick time.
• Small nonprofit organization with established team and demonstrated commercial success.
• Opportunities for training and coursework.
• Possible travel.
• Casual, fun work environment.
January 15, 2013, 5pm PST
How to apply
Download application form at http://www.omri.org/jobs
Send your resume (or CV), cover letter, and a copy of a completed OMRI Application Form in English to: email@example.com.
Or, you may mail your resume (or CV), cover letter, and application to: OMRI, Attn: Operations Director Position, PO Box 11558, Eugene, OR 97440.