Pesticide Action Network North America
General Job Description
Pesticide Action Network North America is seeking a passionate, pragmatic and hard-working candidate to join our team as a Communications Associate. This position combines messaging and writing with online campaign organizing. You’ll therefore need to be adept at both analyzing and doing, planning and executing, responding flexibly with tactics and staying the course on strategy. The ideal candidate will have a mix of “data geek”-iness, deep interest in strategic communications for social change, and either a background in or a flair for—and willingness to train in—using online tools to move people to take action. The ability to write crisp and compelling content about complicated issues is a must for this position.
We're looking for someone who wants to work in a team and who enjoys the dynamic of a fast-paced organization where we juggle multiple projects on tight deadlines simultaneously without dropping the ball. We need a smart, organized, ambitious individual who can do it all, is a fast learner, and is committed to making a difference.
This is a full-time position with competitive salary, depending on qualifications and experience, and generous benefits. Reports to the Associate Director of Communications.
Pesticide Action Network North America (PAN or PANNA) works to replace the use of hazardous pesticides with ecologically sound and socially just alternatives. Located in downtown Oakland, we are one of five PAN Regional Centers worldwide. We link local and international consumer, labor, health, human rights, environment and agriculture groups into an international citizens’ action network. This network challenges the global proliferation of pesticides, defends basic rights to health and environmental quality, and works to ensure the transition to a just and viable society. More detailed descriptions are available at www.panna.org.
• Message & Content Development:
o Write, edit and proof email action alerts, website copy, blogs, fundraising appeals, and other materials.
• Online Organizing:
o Manage social media outreach (especially Facebook & Twitter), Google Adwords, and other online outreach tactics.
o Track and analyze metrics related to online campaigning; track best practices in campaign and issue messaging to inform digital engagement strategy.
o Research, track and cultivate online influencers.
• Communications & Campaigns Research:
o Draft message memos and digests to inform campaign strategy, and refine outreach tactics.
o Guide uptake and use of message memos within campaign teams.
• Other support duties as assigned.
• Education: College degree required;
o Three or more years in communications and/or online organizing strongly preferred;
o Prior professional experience working in a nonprofit setting or on an issue campaign preferred;
• Excellent, natural verbal and writing skills, including online communications;
• Demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts and issues into accessible language;
• Candidates with Spanish language skills are strongly preferred—we are especially seeking someone who is fully bilingual/bi-cultural;
• Very strong research skills, or willingness and interest in developing them quickly;
• Strong project management skills and follow-through;
• Familiarity with social media platforms and other online organizing tools—knowledge of CRM systems, databases and email programs (e.g., Democracy in Action; Convio; Blue State Digital);
• Experience with HTML, graphic design, web design and/or video production a plus;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Google Apps, Salesforce and a Mac environment are helpful;
• Ability to work in diverse teams; manage time and workload effectively;
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative and solve problems creatively; and
• Understanding of environmental health, social justice and/or food system reform is strongly preferred; political savvy and passion around these issues is ideal.
PAN strongly encourages applications from people of color and people with international experience. For more information about PAN North America please visit: http://www.panna.org
Please submit to email@example.com an e-mail with attached letter of interest stating why you want to work with PAN; a resume with work experience and salary history (required); and 3 writing samples that you alone have authored. These writing samples should include both print and online writing. If you have a graphic design portfolio, please share that as well.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Selections of candidates for interview will be made beginning December 17, 2012, and continue as well-qualified candidates present themselves.