Position: Volunteer Coordinator/Administrative Specialist
Reports To: Program Director
Compensation: Range is $16 to $18 per hour; D.O.E.
Hours: This is a part-time position of up to 20 hours per week; 40% of the time will be spent at the administrative office, 60% of the time will be spent at offsite locations (i.e. program sites, special events, volunteer recruitment efforts, community partnership meetings, etc.).
NAMI San Francisco's mission is to advocate for a life of quality and dignity by providing education, resources and emotional support to families and those affected by mental illness (brain disorders). We strive to end discrimination and stigma for all those persons affected by these illnesses through broader education and collaboration with the whole community.
NAMI San Francisco is a strong mission-based organization with a volunteer board, two staff (Program Director and Program Coordinator), and a group of dedicated volunteers. We offer an array of free education and support programs to individuals who live with mental illness and their families. For more information about the organization, please visit our website at www.namisf.org.
1. Develop and implement goals and objectives for volunteer outreach that further the organization’s mission.
2. Support the hiring and supervision of interns for programs and events.
3. Provide administrative support to the office (i.e. respond to phone calls, email inquiries, photocopy, update membership database, etc…)
4. Recruit, orient, train, and support volunteers.
5. Provide volunteers with timely and constructive feedback, acknowledgement, and guidance regarding program content as needed.
6. Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer events, including appreciation and recognition activities.
7. Conduct ongoing evaluation of programs and services delivered by volunteers and implement improvements as necessary. (This typically requires periodic attendance at program presentations.)
8. Liaison with current NAMI members.
9. Develop monthly reports on programs for board, staff, and newsletter.
10. Support partnerships with key stakeholders (internal and external) to promote NAMI programs and for specific projects.
11. Responsible for program outreach/recruitment, implementation and evaluation. Proactively monitor processes to identify opportunities for improvements for member service and efficiency.
12. Coordinate events, meetings, program orientations, trainings as necessary. Some evenings and occasional weekends are required. Manage planning and communication of all program-related meetings as necessary, (including but not limited to logistical management), preparation of materials, coordination of speakers and class facilitators, and tracking of program participants.
13. Attend NAMI staff meetings, NAMI and mental-health related community events, MHSA networking and contract meetings. Engage in education/training.
14. Track activity of volunteers and program progress for reporting purposes as required by NAMI SF and funding partners.
15. Contribute to other NAMI projects, maintenance of membership database, and other duties as necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and 1 to 2 years of experience in volunteer coordination and/or community outreach.
• Some evening and occasional weekend hours are required.
• Experience in coordinating grant-funded programs and its requisite reporting.
• Excellent organizational skills and flexibility to respond to changing environments.
• Ability to work independently and collaborate in a team setting.
• Use of effective communication- orally and written. Bilingual or multilingual language proficiency is preferred.
• Cultural Competency to interact with diverse populations, including mental health care settings.
• A valid California driver's license and a vehicle.
• Advanced Microsoft Office suite proficiency and ability to learn new software. This includes familiarity with data base management for reporting purposes.
Please email a cover letter and resume, including a statement as to how you believe you can make a positive impact in the position and to NAMI San Francisco’s mission. Include both your name and " Volunteer Coordinator/Administrative Specialist " in the subject line of your email. Please do not call our administrative office or Help Line with regard to this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
This job announcement is intended to provide an overview of the requirements of the position. It is not necessarily all-inclusive; the job may require other essential and/or non-essential functions, tasks, duties or responsibilities not listed herein. Management reserves the sole right to add, modify or exclude any essential or non-essential requirement at any time with or without notice. Nothing in this job announcement is intended to create a contract of employment of any type. Employment is "at will" and may be terminated at any time by the employee or employer with or without cause or notice.