Center for Ecoliteracy | Berkeley CA 94702 USA | Full Time | Posted: 12/11/2012
The Center for Ecoliteracy, a non-profit organization in downtown Berkeley, is seeking an experienced financial professional with advanced accounting skills and a proven ability to manage principle financial and HR functions in a small office setting. Accuracy, dependability, effective reporting and forecasting skills, and the ability to juggle diverse functions are the key skills we are seeking in an individual. To qualify, the position requires demonstrated prior experience with non-profit financial management, Generally Accepted Accounting Standards and Principles, OMB-133 Regulations, Federal and State contracts and grants, tracking diverse funding sources, and non-profit and fund accounting, practices and applications.
Candidates must have experience with the following duties:
- Take primary responsibility for financial systems in use throughout the organization to ensure that financial data is managed efficiently and within proper controls
- Execute all fiscal transactions
- Track multiple and diverse government and private foundation funds and cost centers
- Prepare and analyze monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements for review by senior staff
- Implement annual operating budget and track project performance against budget
- Forecast financial costs against approved budgets
- Provide accurate data to external auditor to ensure efficient audits and preparation of Federal and State filing
- Maintain internal controls and processes
- Maintain orderly paper and digital files
- Prepare and maintain contracts and Statements of Work
- Administer the organization's insurance policies
- Monitor and maintain compliance with third-party benefits programs
- Maintain employee records
- Stay informed about and maintain compliance with HR requirements
- Prepare payroll instructions to payroll service agency and retirement plan.
Candidates must have knowledge and skills in the following:
- Full charge accounting and book keeping: with current experience in reconciliations, general ledger maintenance, A/P and A/R
- Relevant Federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations
- Knowledge of HR procedures with payroll instructions, reports, and 403(b) contributions
- Working knowledge of California employment law and best practices
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and to handle sensitive situations
- Expert working knowledge of QuickBooks for PC, proficiency in MS Office, familiarity with Macintosh platform
- Master's degree in a related field of study (MBA, MPA in Nonprofit Management preferred)
- Minimum of five + years of finance/accounting experience in a non-profit environment.
Applicants for this position will be required to complete a background check.
About the Center
The Center for Ecoliteracy supports and advances education for sustainable living. Best known for our work in school food reform and integrating sustainability into K–12 curricula, we have engaged with educators from across the United States and six continents.
We offer books, educational materials, film guides, and studies. We conduct seminars, offer presentations at conferences and other events, and provide strategic consulting services to schools and districts.
To find out more about our organization, please visit (www.ecoliteracy.org).
The Center for Ecoliteracy is a non-profit organization with generous employee benefits. Salary will be based on experience.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary history to email@example.com. No phone calls or faxes please. We are sorry, but only those applicants selected for an interview will receive a response.
The Center will conduct interviews in January. It is advisable to submit materials in December for consideration.
Please submit your response
to the email address below, or send to:
Center for Ecoliteracy
at the David Brower Center
2150 Allston Way, Suite 270
Berkeley, CA 94704-1377
|Location||Berkeley, CA, 94702, United States|
|Travel Required||1% of the time|
|Categories||Accounting - Finance|
|Experience Years||5 yrs|
|Visa Sponsorship||Do not sponsor.|
|Pref Major||Accounting, Nonprofit Management|
|Contact Name||Jim Koulias|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|