About Giving Comfort:
Giving Comfort is a charity initiative of the McKesson Foundation that provides cancer patients with a Comfort Kit filled with the most needed and requested items to provide comfort and relief during chemotherapy treatment.
Each year, 1.6M people in the U.S. are newly diagnosed with cancer, and nearly 600,000 cancer patients will die. Cancer is a brutal disease, both physically and financially. Nearly one quarter of people with cancer will exhaust all savings as a result of treatment costs, even with insurance. 11% of cancer patients cannot afford food & basic necessities due to treatment costs. Giving Comfort aims to provide a bit of relief to these patients through Comfort Kits – filled with items such as a warm blanket, toiletries, a warm cap, a journal and other frequently requested items.
Please visit www.givingcomfort.org to learn more.
Managing Director of Development and Marketing for Giving Comfort is responsible for revenue generation through individual donors, corporate sponsors and Comfort Kits sales. The Managing Director will oversee the development and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising and marketing program that generates sustainable revenue growth across the organization. The primary areas of focus will be:
• securing gifts from a broad base of individual donors through online channels
• securing corporate in-kind donations, promotional partnerships and event sponsorships
• growing individual Comfort Kits sales through online and offline marketing strategies.
The Managing Director of Development and Marketing will be accountable for ensuring that stated fundraising and sales targets are met. This highly entrepreneurial role integrates skills in online product marketing and sales, individual donor cultivation, SEO and SEM, social media, event production, sponsorship, direct mail and public relations.
This position reports to the McKesson Foundation President, who developed Giving Comfort, and manages one direct report. The position works very closely with the Director of Community Engagement and directs the Senior Communications Specialist on project-related work.
The responsibilities of the Managing Director of Development and Marketing include:
Individual Donor Cultivation and Management
• Develop and implement an integrated donor cultivation and relationship management plan that meets fundraising objectives and spans the fundraising spectrum.
• Maximizing individual donor giving with a focus on online promotional strategies: Social media promotions, Paid online advertising and keyword search advertising, Leveraging existing online national giving events (e.g. Giving Tuesday or National Breast Cancer Awareness month), SEO and SEM, Online PR
• Maximizing individual donor giving through traditional channels including but not limited to: Traditional media buys, including print and radio, Direct mail, Strategic partnerships and cross promotions, Traditional PR
• Plan and produce direct mail and email appeals to donor prospects
• Oversee mailing list acquisition and management.
• Maintain the donor database and online giving portal
• Work with our marketing communications contacts across the company to promote donations
• Manage a comprehensive stewardship function, ensuring that donors are regularly reminded of the impact of their gift.
• Track revenue and manage annual fundraising budget
• Manage external vendor relations for website and direct response platforms
• Provide direction to the Senior Communications Specialist, graphic designers and videographers for online and offline solicitations, collateral pieces and website content
• Work with Senior Communications Specialist to update web content using CMS as needed to improve SEO and donor experience
• Manage the Convio donor software system; including oversight of protocols, data entry and data integrity.
• Create dashboard template for the tracking fundraising and “friendraising” goals
• Identify and recruit volunteers to support fundraising activities as necessary
• Develop and implement innovative new vehicles for donor engagement and giving, such as giving circles, survivor clubs, affinity groups, naming opportunities, etc.
• Work within the McKesson Corporate business units to cultivate Giving Comfort promotional and fundraising opportunities though our network of vendors and customers.
• Working with the Manager of Products and Distribution, cultivate a network of corporate supporters to secure in-kind and cash donations to further the mission of Giving Comfort
• Working with the Director of Community Engagement, develop special events to maximize corporate fundraising opportunities (e.g. annual gala, raffles, fundraising walks, etc)
• Develop relationships with oncology trade groups to maximize Giving Comfort reach
• Strategize and plan for annual direct mail campaign, including major donor identification tactics.
• Develop and maintain a comprehensive corporate contact list
Comfort Kits Sales
• Develop and implement a paid marketing, social media and PR plan that fulfills annual Comfort Kit sales targets
• Manage a Kit Sales dashboard that is shared with the Foundation President on a weekly basis
• Take risks and test new concepts to promote Kit Sales
• Work closely with our licensed promotional products vendor to create marketing campaigns that utilize their infrastructure and network to sell more kits
• Work closely with our Distribution Network Partners, vendors and customers to promote Kit Sales
• Work with our marketing communications contacts across the company to promote kit sales
Distribution Network Partners
• Develop and oversee implementation of a marketing communications plan for our Distribution Network Partners that furthers the mission of Giving Comfort
Management and Operations
• Meet annual revenue goals
• Manage annual budget
• Create a calendar of fundraising activities and ensure that all timelines are met
• Manage vendors and contractors including website maintenance, donor database, graphic design, printing, mailing, media buys, etc.
• Manage one direct report and provide appropriate coaching to maximize performance
• Serve as the brand ambassador for Giving Comfort
• Collaborate with the Finance, Tax, Legal and Accounting teams to comply with all policies and procedures and participate in annual audit
• Perform ROI analysis of each sales, marketing, outreach, and fundraising activity and report out on results
• Ensure that the organization's website and written collateral are kept current, with consistent branding and messaging
5+ years hands-on experience managing online individual fundraising or online consumer product sales, including 2+ years managerial experience
Additional Knowledge & Skills
• Deep passion for the Giving Comfort cause
• Demonstrated experience working for an organization that raises $1M+ annually in individual online donations and/or $10M+ in online product sales through company-owned retail website
• Proven track-record of achieving or exceeding planned fundraising and/or sales goals
• Comfort working in a fast-paced, rapidly changing start-up environment
• Ability to innovate, lead, take risks and wear multiple hats
• Ability to develop a clear understanding of current donor and consumer behaviors, needs and motivators
• Demonstrated success using email to drive campaigns, including list selection, segmentation, managing opt-in/out preferences, solid execution and optimization of performance through adjustments to messaging and frequency
• Demonstrated experience optimizing web experiences to drive fundraising performance, including optimizing page copy, layout and conversion flow
• Proficiency in Google Analytics and content management systems
• Extremely well-versed on Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
• Experience structuring and managing donor contact guidelines, privacy protection and other fundraising best practices
• Deep experience using Convio or other donor database
• Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
• Excellent relationship building skills and ability to build support with internal and external stakeholders
• Professional demeanor and the ability to sell ideas in at the C-level
4-year degree in business, communications, or related field or equivalent experience. Advanced degree preferred.
General Office Demands
Benefits & Company Statement
We believe you should be rewarded for the important work you do. For that reason, you'll receive a competitive compensation and benefits package when you join our team.
It starts with you. That's a simple sentence but it says a lot. It reminds each one of us that what we do matters. Every single McKesson employee contributes to our mission - whatever your title, whatever your role, you act as a catalyst in a chain of events that helps millions of people all over the globe. By connecting and improving the business of healthcare, we're helping to ensure that millions of patients get the treatment they need. And by choosing a career with McKesson, you'll join a team of passionate people working together to improve lives and advance healthcare.
At McKesson, we believe we can empower healthcare. And it all starts with you.
As an equal opportunity employer, McKesson Corporation unites the talents and contributions of all to advance the power of healthcare. Learn more about our opportunities at mckesson.com/careers
No agencies please.