Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct the search for a new University Bursar for San Francisco State University. This position is for immediate hire.
The Bursar’s Office acts as a treasury department for the campus and is responsible for the assessment of student tuition, collection of departmental deposits and third-party payments, financial aid disbursements, and billing. All individual and departmental payments and deposits (approximately $270M annually) are processed, reconciled and uploaded into various systems.
Additionally, the Bursar’s Office manages different programs such as installment payment plans, refunds, third-party invoicing, fee deferments and waivers, petty cash reimbursement, Franchise Tax Board reporting, tax information, etc. More importantly, the Bursar’s Office must strictly adhere to and prepares a guide in the development of cash handling procedures to ensure proper internal controls, segregation of duties and adequate safeguards of University assets.
The Bursar's Office is composed of two units: (1) Cashiering units and (2) Student Accounts Receivables and Collections. This office strives to: provide user-friendly and unsurpassed service to the entire campus community; work with students, faculty/staff and departments in a professional, business-like manner; achieve our goals by helping our students and constituents attain their goals; minimize the impact of administrative requirements on the student's educational experience.
The University Bursar reports to the Director of Student Financial Services and Fiscal Affairs Business Systems and is directly responsible for the management and operational control of all the functions and activities of the Cashiering, Student Accounts Receivables and One-Stop Service units.
• Analyze, design, develop, implement and maintain various programs related to student services.
• Administer all systems (Cashiering, Web and Touch-Tone Payment System, Accounts Receivable Module (ARM) – Fee Calc, Refunds, Invoicing, Third Party Billing, Installment Applications, etc.).
• Evaluate existing and new technology to support the organizational and student financial service operations.
• Advise management on policy and procedures related to personnel, budgets and related operational functions to meet goals.
• Provide leadership support to institution-wide student programs designed to enhance and support the overall objective of the university.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration (Management or Accounting. desired)
• 4 or more years of experience in hiring, managing, directing, and motivating staff.
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of student financial operations in a higher education environment.
• Thorough knowledge of policies, procedures and outside regulations such as Title IV, V, SAM and ICSUAM pertaining to cash management, administration of state fees for registration, and ability to apply extensive expertise to complex programs.
• Use of third-party University Cashiering software applications
• Knowledge and use of reporting tools such as Brio, Hyperion, and PS Query.
• Effective written and oral interpersonal and communication skills.
• Knowledge of business management principles, methods and procedures.
• Exceptional computer skills including Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
• Ability to perform management and administrative duties; analyze emergency situations accurately and take prompt actions.
• Comprehensive knowledge of financial record-keeping, procedures and practices.
• Ability to interpret a wide variety of written rules and regulations
• Ability to maintain accounting records for funds and programs involving multiple transactions
• Experience with compiling, verifying and reconciling financial data;
• Ability to prepare statistical and financial reports, research and resolve errors and discrepancies, and read and interpret computer generated reports.
• Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
• Ability to relate/support the overall objectives and policies of the University, Trustees and the Office of the Chancellor.
• Ability to work with representatives from public and private entities and handle potentially sensitive situations. Demonstrative consultative skills in working with internal and external constituent groups in higher education.
• Extensive experience in managing administrative operations and systems analysis.
• Ability to interpret and evaluate results to develop sound conclusions and recommend new or revised policies.
• Demonstrated expertise in and advance knowledge of the principles, problems and methods of public and business administration and operational and fiscal management.
• Ability to understand problems from a broad, interactive perspective and discern applicable underlying principles and policies to conceive of and develop strategic solutions.
• Ability to train others on new skills and procedures and provide lead work direction.
SALARY & BENEFITS
This position pays up to $85k plus an ultra-competitive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct this search for a new Bursar. For immediate consideration please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Scion Executive Search via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT SAN FRANCISCO STATE UNIVERSITY
SF State is an urban university granting bachelor’s and master’s degrees and serving a diverse student body of approximately 30,000 students and 4,000 faculty and staff employees. SF State is one of the largest campuses in the California State University (CSU) -- the largest system of higher education composed of 23 member campuses.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and successes can be found online at www.nonprofitexecutivesearchfirm.com.