The German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF) strengthens transatlantic cooperation on regional, national, and global challenges and opportunities in the spirit of the Marshall Plan.
GMF seeks an HR Director who will be responsible for designing and implementing global HR policies and programs and managing all aspects of employee relations and training and development. S/he will manage staffing and recruiting; training and development; performance management; compensation and benefits administration; and legal relations. S/he must be resourceful and have excellent communication and leadership skills.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Develop and implement an HR strategy to include policies and procedures, employee relations, training and development, benefits administration, employee records, performance management and succession planning.
• Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high-level of employee engagement and morale.
• Maintain awareness and knowledge of domestic and European labor laws to ensure compliance and provide direction to senior management, directors, managers and other staff.
• Oversee and further develop the strategy for the onboarding and offboarding processes.
• Oversee the administration of benefits to include health insurance programs, HSAs, EAP, retirement, life insurance, workers' compensation, unemployment, vacation, sick leave and leaves of absence. Work with CFO and Managing Director to monitor administrative costs of benefits programs and recommend cost containment strategies.
• Maintain an open-door policy to cultivate supportive work environment for all employees.
• Serve as the lead on all grievances; conduct investigation as necessary; and work with supervisors and employees to determine corrective action procedures.
• Further develop and implement a compensation and grades/level structure to include conducting assessing the market for salary comparisons and working with senior management to implement this structure.
• Work with Finance team to ensure a smooth transition of payroll.
• Prepare and manage master staff and HR department budgets in Excel and coordinate regularly with Finance.
• Oversee development and implementation of safety, health and wellness programs.
• Oversee performance evaluation process ensuring timeliness and consistency.
• Conduct ongoing evaluation of all human resources practices, policies and programs. Protect interests of the organization in accordance with human resource policies and governmental laws and regulations.
• Conduct employee exit interviews, complete appropriate forms and provide feedback to supervisors.
• Supervise and develop an HR team of two and seven European Office Managers.
• Serve as the lead on coordinating and drafting complex contracts to include fixed term; at-will; independent contractor; and expat agreements.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• An undergraduate degree in Human Resources, Communication, or another business-related discipline; Graduate degree in Business or Human Resources Management preferred.
• A minimum of 10 years of HR experience to include at least 5 years of international HR experience.
• Solid contracts experience is highly desirable. This includes developing expat agreements and familiarity with cost of living assessments.
• Previous experience interacting with multiple international offices is highly desirable.
• Superior oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills.
• Solid HRIS experience, preferably with ADP system. Familiarity with recruitment and performance management databases a must have.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects.
• Ability to develop strong relationships and work well with all levels of staff.
• Ability to develop new HR policies and procedures based on business requirements.
• High degree of initiative, motivation, and adaptability.
• PHR, SPHR, GPHR certification a plus.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
GMF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.