Are you passionate about helping nonprofits use technology as effectively as possible on a tight budget?
Are you tired of being a one-person shop, trying to do project management, marketing, sales, billing and customer service all at the same time?
Would you like to be part of a team of experienced, smart and funny people who share your commitment to bringing professional technology to progressive nonprofits?
Then come to work with us!!
Alternative Technologies has been a leader for over 20 years in providing technical assistance to progressive non-profits in the SF Bay Area. We are looking for an experienced Network Consultant (5 to 7 years of relevant experience) to work with our customers in the SF Bay Area.
We can provide the right candidate with all the advantages of full time employment and benefits, and all the flexibility and excitement of the consulting life. We have a 5-person helpdesk to solve problems remotely and help support you while you run around in the field. We have a dispatch person to help you schedule your jobs, and to find you that extra pair of hands when you discover you need help. We have a whole team of field technicians with a vast array of experience with our customers and their technology.
We do all the billing, all the marketing and all the sales to new clients (though we love candidates with an ability to identify needs for our clients and suggest additional services when appropriate). Your compensation is partially based on your billable hours, but we never lack for work or new customers, so as long as you are able to organize your time effectively you can expect to be rewarded for your efforts.
Please read the job requirements below, and then follow our application instructions closely. Your attention to detail will show us that you are serious and that you will serve our customers well. If your application stands out, we will ask you to interview with us over the phone and will request a resume at that time. Please do not send a resume until we ask you to do so. We will not look at responses that include an unsolicited resume.
The ideal candidate will be able to:
* Grasp the business needs of a client and lead them effectively in designing and implementing a solution that meets these needs within their budget
* Provide excellent customer service and technical support to customers in person, by phone and email
* Multitask fluidly and work with minimal supervision and direction
* Adapt quickly to changing demands
* Show superior organizational and communication skills
* Effectively support and communicate with customers of varying technical abilities, from novice to expert
* Show leadership within our team and support the junior staff
* Demonstrate outstanding attention to detail
* Be comfortable working with customers from a wide range of political views and backgrounds
* Have experience driving in the Bay Area, a clean DMV record and professional demeanor with our customers
Other essential abilities include:
* Grace under pressure and a good sense of humor
* Solid grasp of IP networking and experience with installing and configuring a variety of SOHO and SMB routers
* Extensive experience working with Windows Server 200x (SBS a big plus)
* Mastery of the following: Symantec Backup Exec, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Microsoft SQL Server, commercial database packages such as Quickbooks and Timeslips
* Experience with VMWare and Hyper-V
* Experience with Google Apps
* Microsoft and Cisco or other certifications are a big plus
* Most importantly, you should have a demonstrated desire and ability to acquire and integrate new technical skills quickly
1. Work on-site and over the phone to assist clients with the following:
* IT infrastructure planning
* Assistance on technical hiring or vendor management
* Server maintenance on a scheduled basis
* Quotes for upgrades and replacements of hardware and software
* Document configurations for all clients in our customer system
* Advanced router configuration including VPN, SSL VPN, Point to Point T1, etc.
* Server or advanced router troubleshooting
* Server installations and upgrades
* Initial visits to new/potential clients to perform a network evaluation
* Meet regularly with clients to receive feedback and discuss upgrades
2. Support the team (that supports you) by doing the following:
* Respond to issues that would normally be handled by a junior technician, if one is not available
* Respond promptly to technical questions from other staff
* Take over issues escalated from other staff as appropriate and resolve them
* Provide backup coverage of other technical staff positions including phone and field support
* Share off-duty paging responsibility
* Help evaluate the work of other technicians
* Supervise the work of other technical staff when working on a project or install together
* Turn in billing and all related paperwork in a timely fashion
* Other duties as assigned by department manager
We value diversity in our workplace and strongly encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBT community and others not often seen in the IT world to apply.
Compensation & Benefits:
• Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience.
• Benefit Time Off: Our benefit package includes vacation pay, paid holidays and sick leave.
• Health Benefits: Health coverage is provided, including medical, dental, life insurance and long-term disability for employees and dependents.
• Learning Benefits: We provide an annual stipend to pursue your choice of professional training opportunities, including workshops, class, books, etc
• Retirement Benefits: After one year of employment, Alternative will match 401k contributions dollar-for-dollar up to 4% of total salary.
• Non-monetary compensation: The opportunity to be a member of our energetic, innovative, hard-working and rapidly growing team, and to work closely every day with a variety of organizations who are working for a better world.
DO NOT SEND A RESUME UNTIL YOU ARE ASKED TO DO SO
Please send, to the email address listed in this posting, 2-3 written paragraphs answering these 3 questions:
1. Why you are qualified for this job?
2. What attracts you to working with progressive non-profit organizations?
3. What unique contribution will you make to our team?