Vice President of Business Development and Marketing
The Philadelphia Education Fund (Ed Fund) is a 28-year-old non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of education in Philadelphia and the region so that youth are prepared to succeed in college and careers (see www.philaedfund.org). The organization advances educational practice by:
• Developing, growing, and supporting teachers and leaders;
• Supporting schools and students directly to ensure that young people complete their secondary education and realize post-secondary success; and,
• Advancing critical dialogue and education agenda across the city, convening key constituents to promote pivotal work on behalf of children and youth.
As the Ed Fund moves at pace into the new educational era in Philadelphia, we remain true to our roots as an organization that incubates promising practices and systems, demonstrates via implementation and evaluation, and disseminates (best practices, evaluation learnings, technical assistance) to the field.
The Ed Fund seeks a Vice President of Business Development and Marketing to oversee the organization’s development, communications, and product development efforts. The VP of Business Development and Marketing will supervise Development and Communications teams and have final responsibility for fundraising via grants and individual donations, for advancing the Ed Fund’s strategic communications practice, and for supporting the organization in its growing efforts to develop marketable “products.” Product development efforts tie directly to the Ed Fund’s growing work in dissemination of practice via tools, training, and technical assistance.
- Supervises Development team and Communications team.
- Creates a productive, ambitious, respectful, and collegial work environment.
- Provides mentorship, direction, and professional development for team.
- As a member of the Ed Fund’s Leadership Team, provides leadership and strategic support to the organization.
- Drives the completion and implementation of a development plan.
- Ensures management and implementation of the grant process, supporting directly as necessary:
o Researching of potential institutional funders
o Production of proposals and reports
o Maintenance of accurate records and calendar
- Ensures management and implementation of the individual donor process, including:
o Conceptualization, analysis, and monitoring of individual cultivation and solicitation strategies
o Oversight of individual donors, including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
o Donor acknowledgement
o Development and delivery of fundraising events
o Maintenance of accurate records and calendar
- In coordination with Development team, cultivate and maintain relationships with major corporate, foundation, individual funders and prospects. Facilitate connections with the CEO.
- Ensures creation of development reports for the board of directors.
- Guides the Communications team in developing and implementing a strategic communications plan.
- Ensures the Communications team operates in a strategic manner, setting priorities and selecting strategic tools and content to disseminate to the public.
- Supports the Communications team and organization in re-conceptualizing how we assess and communicate our impact.
- Ensures the Communications team delivers key organizational events.
- Ensures the Communications team manages relationships with designers, writers, printers, and other vendors.
• Market Development
- Collaborates with programmatic VPs, directors, and other appropriate staff to identify expertise ripe for dissemination to the field via training, technical assistance, and tools.
- Oversees projects – with appropriate staff from the organization -- to develop marketable products and services from identified areas of expertise.
- Develops revenue generation plan for products and services.
- With Communications team, develops marketing strategy for products and services.
- Ensures operation within budget and use resources strategically.
- Develops annual departmental budget, in collaboration with Development, Communications, and Finance teams.
• Commitment to excellent public education in Philadelphia.
• Successful tenure in leadership role in non-profit organization.
• At least five years fundraising experience in institutional as well as individual giving.
• Experience overseeing fundraising events.
• Experience developing and implementing strategic communications plans.
• Strong strategic skill set around identifying, developing, and bringing products to market.
• Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and agility. Entrepreneurial.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and manage individuals and high-performing teams.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
This position reports to the CEO of the Philadelphia Education Fund.
Please submit resume and letter of interest to email@example.com. Include “VP, Business Development” in the subject of your email.