Conservation Corp North Bay’s (CCNB’s) Mission:
Develop youth and conserve natural resources for a strong, sustainable community.
We achieve our mission by:
• Providing a diverse group of youth and young adults with opportunities to transform their lives through education, employability, civic engagement, and leadership.
• Caring for our environment by conserving and restoring natural resources, and by improving recreational areas.
• Creating the environmental leaders of the future by teaching environmental ethics and behaviors to children, teens and adults.
• Making communities safer by reducing fire and flood hazards and by responding to public emergencies and disasters.
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt From Wage And Hour Laws
Directly Supervises: Finance Staff
Role With Agency: Member Of Management Team
Budgetary Line Responsibility: General & Administrative Department Expenses
Accountability Indices: Effectively manage the Finance Department.
The Controller works closely with the COO to establish the Finance Department’s goals and to develop, implement, monitor and assess strategies to achieve the goals. The Controller develops and maintains efficient and effective financial operations, prepares organizational and department budgets and financial analysis, and ensures that appropriate policies, procedures and internal controls are maintained to safeguard the organization and facilitate effective financial management.
Specific Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
• Manage the day to day accounting operations of the organization including payroll, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger and financial reporting and analysis in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and internal policies and procedures.
• Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure all accounting transactions and record-keeping functions comply with applicable state and federal regulations and accounting principles.
• Improve processes and automate manual tasks. Develop & implement strategies to make financial operations more efficient. Recommend systemic improvements that create efficiencies and savings for the organization.
• Monitor payroll procedures and preparation. Ensure that CCNB follows all applicable payroll and labor laws.
• Develop and maintain effective contract and billing infrastructure for fee-for-service work.
• Develop and maintain effective cost allocation systems and tools.
• Manage cash to ensure that CCNB’s cash position is maximized. Prepare short-term & long range cash flow projections. Complete monthly bank reconciliations.
• Produce accurate and timely financial reports for internal and external reporting.
• Maintain the financial records of CCNB, including its general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, inventories and other accruals, payroll journal, and general journal using generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
• Reconcile project cost records and prepare monthly invoicing.
• Direct annual audit and tax preparation work with external auditors. Oversee the planning and completion of the year-end close. Prepare all reports, schedules and account analysis required for audit.
• Ensure all annual, quarterly and periodic national, state and local filings are completed.
• Develop organizational and department budgets on an annual basis. Monitor & report on progress and changes on a monthly & quarterly basis.
• Provide assistance to the COO with presentation of accounting and financial data to the Board of Directors and department managers.
• Complete special accounting studies and analysis of various activities of CCNB, including those required by governmental agencies.
• Support CCNB’s Development Department by preparing and reviewing budgets and projections for grant requests.
• Research and implement upgrades to accounting and payroll software as needed.
• Supervise, train and evaluate finance staff.
• Design & facilitate in-house employee training on subjects such as budgeting, financial controls, etc.
• Perform other duties that may be assigned and handle other activities that arise in the day to day functioning of the finance department.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The Controller has proven expertise in fiscal management, excellent analysis skills, and knowledge of payroll and labor laws.
• Six or more years of increasingly responsible experience in non-profit financial management and accounting; significant experience with nonprofit accounting systems, fund accounting and government funding compliance required.
• Clear understanding of accounting principles, government accounting policies, cost allocation procedures and internal controls. Knowledge of federal cost regulations, OMB circulars, GAAP and FASB.
• Experience developing budgets for organizations with multiple department and programs and large number of funding sources.
• Experience analyzing financial data, preparing financial reports and generating financial projections.
• Strong computer system skills including experience with accounting, spreadsheet and word-processing software. Experience with Sage 100 Fund Accounting software a plus, as is experience with ADP PayExpert, Reporting and Workforce Now.
• Strong planning and organization skills. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
• High level of personal and professional integrity. Trustworthy, discrete, and respectful in the handling of confidential or sensitive information and matters.
• Requires a high level of attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Effective written and verbal communications skills.
• Experience managing accounting staff.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration is required.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; use hands to operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Perform simple grasping and fine manipulation. There are normal office working conditions and associated physical demands. For example, on a continuous basis, sit at a desk using a computer and in meetings for long periods of time. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk. May be expected to lift and move containers weighing up to 25 lbs.
To apply: E-mail (Word or PDF format) cover letter summarizing interest, qualifications/experience and compensation requirements, along with a current resume to email@example.com with “Controller” in the subject field.
Conservation Corps North Bay (CCNB) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.