Executive Director - Silicon Valley Region
Reading Partners | Oakland CA 94607 USA | Full Time | Posted: 05/16/2013
Reading Partners seeks a dynamic fundraiser and self-motivated leader to be the Executive Director in our Silicon Valley Region. S/he will lead the development strategy for a $1m+ budget, and manage a staff of 15+ people delivering programs serving 20-25 elementary schools throughout the region. The Executive Director - Silicon Valley, is charged with growing and scaling the region fiscally and programmatically, and acting as the primary contact to both internal and external stakeholders. The ideal candidate is an accomplished fundraiser and social entrepreneur with connections to the K-5 educational and/or non-profit sector, state/local officials and philanthropic leaders.
- The Executive Director – Silicon Valley Region reports to the VP of Field Operations for the Western US.
- This position will work closely with the Reading Partners regional boards in specific sites as well as with the national board of directors.
- Provide executive oversight of all program operations: compliance, quality assurance, and program efficacy.
- Build organizational infrastructure and capacity to support future growth.
- Oversee all business functions of the Silicon Valley region (accounting, HR, IT, legal, etc.).
- Develop and manage regional boards to provide effective local leadership and ambassadorship.
- Set, meet and exceed, annual fund development goals for the Silicon Valley region.
- Raise private and municipal funds and set goals for annual increases.
- Cultivate and manage donor relationships across the region.
- Collaborate with Development staff to identify potential funders across the Silicon Valley.
Staff Coaching and Management
- Build and support a high-caliber staff of program, development, and operations professionals.
- Oversee and deliver professional development and management training for regional staff.
- Create and lead a broad coalition of nonprofit, for-profit, and governmental entities to affect students’ reading success.
- Engage and manage relationships with elected officials and public sector partners (municipal, school board, state and district staff for Congressional offices) to support advancement of Reading Partners as a key partner in the educational system in the region.
- Support Reading Partners’ role in the policy dialogue around literacy, education and national service.
- Increase organizational visibility and profile in local media markets through the successful implementation of a regional communications plan.
- Serve as primary local public spokesperson for Reading Partners, acting as the public face of the organization within the region.
- Develop strategic partnerships to support Reading Partners’ outreach and volunteer recruitment efforts.
- Established success in developing and executing fundraising strategies with goals of $1m or more.
- Demonstrated success in staff recruitment, leadership, management, and development.
- Proven accomplishments in front-line fundraising.
- Demonstrated ability managing large and complex operating budgets.
- Exceptional communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, highly adaptive environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Experience working with local nonprofits, school districts, government officials, and philanthropic organizations in the region.
- Experience in the field of K-5 education, especially within the context of Title I schools.
- Experience working with nationally or regionally scaled nonprofits, especially high growth nonprofits.
- M.Ed., MBA, or other relevant postgraduate degree.
Local travel within the Silicon Valley on a weekly basis. Occasional trips to our national office in Oakland, or offices in regions may be required, including overnight stays.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching; eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Also requires moderate to intense concentration due to complexity and/or need to meet deadlines, and flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive and commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position with comprehensive benefit plan including health, dental and vision benefits, vacation, and sick time.
Pleae submit the following items to our online job posting (http://bit.ly/YRZjpl)
- Cover letter highlighting reasons for your interest in the position, relevant experience/qualifications for the position, and salary history.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.
|Location||Oakland, CA, 94607, United States|
|Travel Required||10% of the time|
|Categories||Children's Services, Education, Youth Services|
|Experience Years||5 yrs|
|Visa Sponsorship||Do not sponsor.|
|Contact Name||Human Resources|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||RED - SV|