This job is no longer available
Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia | Philadelphia PA 19103 USA | Full Time | Posted: 12/17/2012
Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Term: Full-time, Permanent
Position Posted: December 10, 2012
Founded in 2001, the Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia (SBN) is a growing community of independent, locally owned businesses that are committed to improving their environmental and social impacts as well as their profit margin. As a founding member of the Business Alliance for Local Living Economies, SBN is a leader in the international movement that is building a future where businesses do well by investing in the quality of life for all citizens; serving community needs, sharing wealth, and protecting the environment.
SBN has a small, dedicated staff team, a passionate and engaged board, and a dynamic membership of business leaders. The mission of SBN is to build a just, green and thriving economy in the Greater Philadelphia region. For the past eleven years SBN has provided education, resources and a collective voice for our members and partners, while challenging, educating and inspiring policy makers and the general public to support local businesses and help them prosper. In all the operations and interactions of the organization, the board and staff of SBN are continually striving to set an unprecedented example for how businesses and communities can coexist, collaborate, and create a more sustainable society.
SBN seeks a new Executive Director to build upon the strong foundation laid by the first Executive Director, who is moving on after an eight-year tenure.
As the leader of a community of entrepreneurs, SBN requires a dynamic, innovative and entrepreneurial executive director (ED); one who will build on existing programs and partnerships to accomplish our mission, and propel us towards achieving our collective vision. The ED functions as the Chief Executive Officer of SBN, and is responsible for implementation of the policies, and planned strategic goals and objectives of the organization. The ED is the chief fundraiser and oversees the financial, program, and administrative management of the corporation. As the public face of SBN, the ED must embody and champion our values and principals. As CEO the ED must have the ability to see the larger picture, while skillfully managing details and establishing a stable, nurturing and productive working environment. The ED is expected to make well‐informed decisions, and respect and be empowered by diverse perspectives. The salary will be commensurate with experience.
Key Qualities and Preferred Experience:
• Deeply committed to the mission, vision, and values of SBN
• Collaborative and cooperative, with demonstrated success in coalition building. Leadership experience in building a thriving membership organization is a strong advantage
• Optimistic, articulate and a skillful problem solver; a community leader who values diversity, authenticity and accountability
• Entrepreneurial with a proven track record of raising at least $1M in revenue, ideally through a combination of earned income and grants
• Has at least 4 years experience working with, or in, the for-profit sector and understands the challenges that face entrepreneurs
• Has at least 4 years executive experience managing a nonprofit budget of $500,000+, with proven financial management skills
• Has executive experience working effectively with a nonprofit board of directors
• Has demonstrated skill in engaging with key stakeholders in strategic thinking, planning and implementation
• Has strong written and verbal communication skills; proficient in appropriate technologies and social media platforms
- Lead staff and members in developing and implementing high quality programs and strategic partnerships that engage and inspire members and partners, helping them become advocates for the vision and mission of the SBN community.
- Lead the creation and implementation of a Development Plan for diverse revenue generation. Work with the Board and staff to ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Oversee the smooth running of all the day-to-day operations and functions of SBN to ensure a lawful and efficient use of resources. Represent the needs of SBN to funding and regulatory bodies.
- Work with staff to develop and oversee effective and compelling communications to members, the media, and the community at large.
- Establish and maintain a positive and effective working relationship between the board and staff, and provide strategic support to the board in all its activities and responsibilities.
- Provide leadership and clear direction for the staff, communicating clearly and constructively on objectives and performance while fostering a collaborative and creative culture.
- Work with Operations Manager and Bookkeeper to manage finances well and provide regular reports to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors. With support from staff, finance committee and the board, create and manage budgets, and implement initiatives, systems and success measures for financial resources.
- Maintain and expand the local and national profile of SBN through public and professional contacts.
- Lead the organization in fulfilling its strategic plan.
How to apply:
Please email cover letter explaining how you fulfill the key Qualities and Preferred Experience that we seek, salary requirements, one long and one short writing sample, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 28, 2012. Phone calls about this position are discouraged.
For organization info, go to: www.sbnphiladelphia.org
SBN is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available individuals in every job. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law.
|Location||Philadelphia, PA, 19103, United States|
|Categories||Community Improvement/Capacity Building/Economic Development|
|Experience Years||5 yrs|
|Visa Sponsorship||Do not sponsor.|
|Contact Name||Monica Rao|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|