Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct the search for a new University Controller for San Francisco State University. This position is for immediate hire and works fulltime onsite at the main SFSU campus located at 1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, CA.
The University Controller reports to the Associate Vice President for Fiscal Affairs, and is an active part of the management team of the Fiscal Affairs department. On a daily basis this position oversees the daily accounting and financial reporting operations of the Accounting units, Trust & Special Projects, Governmental Accounting, and Financial Reporting units.
• Oversee the accuracy of all University Financial Records.
• Manage a staff of 3 managers, 16 accountants and several student assistants.
• Implement and monitor processes to assess all financial transactions to ensure compliance with CSU, University and campus policies and procedures/regulations.
• Ensure adherence to the terms and conditions by external funding sources, and with GAAP.
• Manage University state fund and trusts in accordance with CSU Trustee policy and state rules.
• Oversee the preparation of financial reporting and external audits and financial audits.
• Respond to financial audits while working with internal and external auditors.
• Oversee completion and implementation of audit recommendations in collaboration with the Associate Vice President for Fiscal Affairs and the Vice President for Administration and Finance.
• Provide leadership to the Accounting units, Trust & Special Projects, Governmental Accounting and Financial Reporting, including establishing policies and objectives for the Units.
• Responsible for developing, implementing and administering policies and procedures for all funds including State general funds, special funds, capital outlay funds, enterprise funds and trust.
• Responsible for analyzing financial activity in accordance with State, CSU and campus fiscal policy and procedures, implementing corrective action as needed.
• Develop and implement services for new programs.
• Design and implement business processes, systems of internal controls and management reporting structures to facilitate decentralized management and control of funds at the department and division levels.
• Provide direction in the development, implementation and maintenance of systems and procedures relative to various funding sources to ensure compliance with all Federal and State audit regulations.
• Represent the campus in various California State University Systemwide committees.
• Perform other special projects as needed.
• Eight prior years of managerial experience, preferably within an Accounting/Financial Reporting department at a University, college, nonprofit organization or similar environment.
• Prior experience with PeopleSoft and working knowledge of related report writing software systems.
• A Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
• Prior experience supervising staff with varying degrees of technical capabilities.
• Demonstrated exceptional analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills.
• Expert knowledge of MS Excel.
• CPA license preferred.
SALARY & BENEFITS
This position offers a wonderful working environment and a competitive starting base salary of $100,000 to $120,000 DOE plus a very competitive benefits package including 2 months of vacation/paid time off, health care, dental, vision, flexible benefits, income protection, AD&D, CalPERS retirement, retirement options, the CSU Fee Waiver Program, Credit Union benefits, et al. Salary plus benefits bring the total compensation of this compensation package (base + benefits) to close to $150k for well qualified candidates.
HOW TO APPLY
For immediate consideration please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Scion Executive Search via email to email@example.com.
ABOUT SAN FRANCISCO STATE UNIVERSITY
SF State is an urban university granting bachelor’s and master’s degrees and serving a diverse student body of approximately 30,000 students and 4,000 faculty and staff employees. SF State is one of the largest campuses in the California State University (CSU) -- the largest system of higher education composed of 23 member campuses.
ABOUT OUR SEARCH FIRM
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and successes can be found online at www.nonprofitexecutivesearchfirm.com.