Are you a professional writer and editor committed to social justice? Do you thrive on finding that just-right turn of phrase? Do you like to educate people on nuanced issues? Can you weave gold from technical legal arguments? Are you adept at repurposing existing content for multiple uses? Is your copy a pleasure to read? Do you have a keen editorial eye? Then we have a job for you. Public Advocates Inc. has an opening for an experienced writer and editor to join its exceptional and dedicated staff.
Public Advocates is a nonprofit law firm and advocacy organization that challenges the systemic causes of poverty and racial discrimination by strengthening community voices in public policy and achieving tangible legal victories advancing education, housing and transit equity. We spur change through collaboration with grassroots groups representing low-income communities, people of color and immigrants, combined with strategic policy reform, media advocacy and litigation, “making rights real” across California since 1971. See http://www.publicadvocates.org.
Communication is one of the main tools we use to advance our mission. Reporting to the Director of Communication, the Staff Writer is responsible for telling the story of Public Advocates, its people and its programs, in a compelling way.
• Develop and edit persuasive, interesting and well-crafted copy for a variety of audiences through multiple formats. This includes web and blog posts, issue briefs and reports, case studies, press materials and op-eds, proposals, development communication and marketing copy.
• Translate, reframe and adapt existing content to engage new audiences;
• Craft and articulate key messages;
• Identify news and commentary opportunities;
• Manage and coordinate writing projects;
• Serve as editor for subject matter experts’ writing;
• Promulgate a consistent, advocacy-driven editorial voice;
• Coach experienced legal writers.
Qualifications and Experience
To be successful, a candidate must have these attributes:
• Experience developing persuasive, fact-based copy with an ability to make sophisticated, technical subjects interesting and persuasive to a lay audience;
• Demonstrated editorial skills working with both seasoned and novice writers.
• Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple assignments and complete projects accurately, on deadline, and in a consistent organizational voice;
• Independence, mature judgment and initiative;
• Excellent oral communication skills and the ability to produce the highest caliber written work;
• Excellent interview, research and editorial skills;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and social media tools plus the ability to learn new technology quickly;
• Creativity, diplomacy, and capacity to work collaboratively both internally and with allies.
Previous nonprofit experience is highly desirable. Subject matter expertise in one or more of our issues or experience as daily blogger or producer of social networking content will be viewed as a plus.
Qualities expected of all Public Advocates staff include integrity, high professional standards, and commitment to progressive social change, our mission, and working successfully with diverse colleagues, clients and collaborators. We value cooperation, candor, flexibility, resilience, optimism, curiosity, and sense of humor.
Compensation & Work Setting
Average 20 hours/week with potential for more hours based on organizational needs. Open to considering either part-time employee (W-2) or contractor (1099). Bay Area candidates only. Competitive non-profit salary or hourly rate commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits package available to W-2 employee only on a pro rata basis. Office located on the Embarcadero in San Francisco, near the Ferry Building, convenient to public transportation.
Only complete applications that follow these directions will be considered. Applications must include: cover letter addressing your experience and background, including a project or challenge you've handled that will help us understand your qualifications; complete resume; three writing samples that show a range of written work (excerpts from longer pieces and additional urls are acceptable); and three up-to-date references. Submit electronic application in .pdf format to email@example.com.
Public Advocates values diversity. We encourage all interested individuals to apply, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender, and anyone belonging to another federal or state protected category.