PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY THROUGH OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS. NO FAXES NOR CALLS.
Position: Action Dash Race/Walk Manager
Reports to: Vice President - Development
About Action Ministries
Action Ministries, Inc. meets the hunger, housing, and education needs of homeless and low-income Georgians. Founded in 1963 by the United Methodist Church, Action Ministries operates programs in Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Decatur, Gainesville, and Rome as well as 58 transitional housing sites for homeless families in 20 Georgia counties. In 2012, it began a statewide child hunger initiative – Smart Lunch, Smart Kid – that served over 120,000 lunches to under-resourced children in their communities. It also has an administrative partnership with Breakthru House, Inc., a long-term treatment facility for homeless women. Action Ministries is a faith-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and its services are open to all who are in need. In 2012, Action Ministries served over 70,000 Georgians.
Action Ministries is seeking an experienced and dynamic Race/Walk Manager to be the chief leader and manager of all aspects of our annual Action Dash, a fundraising Race/Walk held every Labor Day in five cities around the state – Atlanta, Augusta, Athens, Gainesville, and Rome – where we have locations. This position will provide leadership, vision and support to each city to help maximize growth potential of the fundraising event.
The Action Dash Race/Walk Manager reports directly to the Vice President of Development and serves as an integral team member of the development staff. He/she will work in close collaboration with Events Coordinator, who works in special events though with a separate portfolio. This position is designed to strengthen the existing development program and enhance the fundraising results of Action Ministries across the state of Georgia.
Corporate participation and sponsorships are key to the success of our Action Dash. In addition to the implementation and execution of Action Dash, the Race/Walk Manager will be responsible for working alongside the Director of Corporate Relations to secure corporate participation through high-level sponsorships and corporate teams.
• Develop and implement a three year strategic plan to show significant revenue growth for the Action Dash race/walk
• Identify, recruit and mobilize business and community leaders to serve as volunteers and sponsors
• Identify target audiences and build appropriate marketing strategies to recruit, acknowledge and retain event participants and sponsors
• Work with the Vice President for Strategic Marketing on a marketing and promotional plan to enhance visibility and increase community awareness and participation in Action Dash
• Create and maintain timelines, budgets and logistical needs for event
• Manages and assures the development of campaign materials required for the success and implementation of the Action Dash
• Partner with business and community leaders to secure Corporate Revenue
• Develop and implement annual operational plan that includes detailed budget, team development, corporate development, volunteer development and logistic plans
• Provides staff support for volunteers, participants and committees required for the success of Action Dash
• Tracks income and expenses associated with the event
• Leads the strategy and implementation of peer-to-peer fundraising
• Bachelor's degree with a minimum 3 years event management experience; race/walk experience is essential
• Success in cultivating corporate relationships and securing corporate sponsorships
• Strong volunteer recruitment, training and management experience
• Excellent computer skills; knowledge of Convio is preferred
• Significant skills in planning and budgeting
• Available to work evenings and weekends
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Capable of building and sustaining relationships with a variety of constituents
• Flexible and adaptable
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Excellent organizational skills with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands
• Excellent communication skills – written; oral; listening
• Supervisory, leadership, collaboration, team building and mentoring skills required
IMPORTANT PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
• A strong passion for AMI’s mission
• Ability to inspire, motivate, and marshal resources. Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to influence and persuade.
• Proven ability to negotiate complex, high profile, and sensitive agreements with donors
• Hard working, organized and disciplined
• A team player who is willing to operate outside of their job description for the good of the organization
• Creativity as it relates to fundraising
• A results-oriented person
• Relationship builder at all levels – colleagues, donors, volunteer leaders, donors, members, etc.