MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Join a progressive state-wide non-profit disability advocacy organization that is committed to the fight for the legal and human rights of people with disabilities. We have one opening for a full time Patients Rights Advocate at Metropolitan State Hospital. This position is funded by a contract between Disability Rights California and the California Department of State Hospitals. The PRA provides advocacy services to, and investigates complaints regarding abuse and denials of rights of, state hospital patients. This is an excellent opportunity to do work that truly makes a difference. We offer excellent benefits and great work environment!
1. Bachelor's Degree in a related field. Four years direct life experience as a mental health consumer or four years experience as a consumer advocate may be substituted for the B.A. requirement (i.e., social work, counseling, self-help).
2. Two years experience as a consumer advocate within the social, human service, government, or health care environment. (If using experience in lieu of Bachelor's degree, this qualification has been met).
3. Working knowledge and understanding of the mental health and criminal justice systems.
4. Demonstrated ability to analyze complex problems and develop creative solutions with minimum supervision.
5. Effective oral and written communication skills sufficient to represent patients, and to conduct training programs for patients and staff as assigned.
6. Experience utilizing Microsoft Word/Windows or comparable word processing program on a personal computer.
7. A demonstrated experience commitment and sensitivity to the rights of persons with disabilities.
8. Demonstrated working with and/or sensitivity to persons from multi-ethnic communities.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please do so by January 14, 2013. To view the detailed job description and complete the application process visit www.disabilityrightsca.org/jobs/jobs.htm