The CEO is committed to the causes of the YWCA – the elimination of racism and the economic empowerment of women – and ensures that programs and services are in line with its strategic vision and goals. The CEO will serve as the chief executive focused on stewarding resources to implement the vision, brand, mission and strategy of the YWCA of Greater Atlanta . This role provides an opportunity to bring creative leadership and vision in maintaining the YWCA’s position as a beacon in the community, while simultaneously implementing new strategies to further the organization’s innovative and cutting-edge service delivery.
The YWCA of Greater. Atlanta seeks an energetic, accomplished senior professional to serve as its chief executive officer. The CEO will provide executive leadership to all the functions of the organization. This position directly supervises three administrators and, indirectly, a full team of 60 full- and part-time staff. The CEO will lead strategic efforts to inform and educate volunteers, donors, prospective donors, and the larger community about the mission and unique impact of the YWCA of Greater Atlanta, oversee and ensure implementation of all programs, direct the YWCA’s fund development function; and enhance the public image of the YWCA of Atlanta. The CEO will create and maintain highly productive relationships with board members, staff, volunteers, community partners, and clients.
As the Board's single official link to the operating organization, the CEO’s performance will be considered to be synonymous with organizational performance as a total.
Leadership and General Management
• Provide visionary leadership in the formulation and successful execution of YWCA goals and strategies in furtherance of YWCA priorities and mission-based programs and services, including: advocacy for women, girls and persons of color, and the elimination of racism.
• Provide collaborative leadership in maintaining a positive and productive working relationship among the Board, volunteers and YWCA staff.
• Serve as a community leader by building and maintaining relationships with other organizations and key stakeholders.
• Work with the Association's planning committees to develop and maintain a strategic planning process with long-range and/or short-range objectives, which identifies the needs of women, girls and persons of color and addresses these through program and services, public policy and advocacy.
• Create YWCA’s annual business plan with measurable objectives, strategies, budgets, funding strategies and timelines.
• Carry an ex-officio relationship to investment, finance, fundraising and planned giving committees, providing staff service as necessary.
Internal and Financial Management
• Support and/or lead the internal structure for infusing the mission of the YWCA into all policies, procedures, and practices.
• Lead, develop, supervise and maintain a highly effective and productive senior management team that provides exceptional support to the board.
• Provide the YWCA Program Directors and other staff with assistance in strategy development, outcomes-based goal setting, implementation timelines, evaluation guidelines, and budgeting.
• Facilitate positive employee relations and resolve employee conflicts and grievances.
• Promote and encourage professional growth and development of staff (including the CEO position) through education and training opportunities.
• Maintain overall responsibility for all aspects of fiscal management, including assuring adequate financing for current operating needs and long-term goals.
• Work with the finance committee by giving leadership to (1) the budgeting process, (2) the timely reporting of the Association's total financial position and (3) maintaining financial controls.
• Ensure that accurate and timely financial records and documents are maintained and are in compliance with all Federal, State and local laws.
Fundraising & Development
• With YWCA Board Members, Director of Development, and other staff, establish aggressive fundraising goals – both collective and individual – that challenge and motivate all participants to excel.
• Work collaboratively with the development committee to assure a comprehensive and diversified plan is in place.
• Oversee annual giving, capital campaigns, endowment and planned giving programs.
• Identify and cultivate major prospective donors and maintain positive relations with current and past contributors of significant gifts.
• Nurture and expand the donor base as a foundation for both greater unrestricted support as well as effective advocacy support as needed.
• Work collaboratively with the board in the development and implementation of goals and the organization’s vision for the future.
• Support the board development/nominations process to ensure new leaders, to bring skills and experience to lead the organization toward its vision.
• Ensure that the YWCA Board Members and volunteers are kept fully informed of the status of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
• Ensure that efficient and effective staff support is provided to each of YWCA’s committees and for other board activities, both individual and collective.
• Provide training and ongoing education in board and volunteer fundraising practices.
Community/Membership Outreach & External Relations
• Effectively represent the programs and point of view of the YWCA of Atlanta to individuals, agencies, organizations and the general public.
• Ensure that programs are mission driven, in line with strategic plan goals, and in support of the needs and purpose of the YWCA.
• Assure that membership meetings are scheduled and planned to inform members about developments in the association and to allow members to participate responsibly in decisions affecting its future.
• Work collaboratively with staff to ensure consistent messaging and branding in written, electronic, and spoken communications, assuring that the YWCA is known as a movement of women and a valued human service agency.
• Serve as the “face” of YWCA of Atlanta and train other senior volunteer and staff leaders to do the same so that the organization maintains a strong presence.
• Continue to raise the profile of this premier women’s organization, while supporting the initiatives and needs of the clients it serves in the community.
• Develop and maintain good relations with private foundations, local corporations, nonprofit organizations, and philanthropic individuals throughout the community.
• Create new and innovative marketing and outreach strategies using technology and social networks in order to increase visibility of the organization for new audiences.
The Qualified Candidate:
The YWCA of Greater Atlanta seeks a mission-driven executive with strong relationship building, management, and leadership skills. The CEO will have at least 10+ years of progressive leadership experience. The CEO will be a goal-oriented, accomplished leader who is passionate and committed to the YWCA’s mission and values the diversity of all people within the organization and the communities it serves. Familiarity with the types of programs and services offered by the YWCA is important; including childcare and education, domestic violence, sexual assault, racial justice, and economic empowerment programs. Knowledge of the Atlanta community and philanthropic marketplace will be helpful, as the CEO serves as the primary spokesperson for the YWCA in interactions with donors, partners, and other Atlanta institutions and community leaders.
The successful candidate will bring all or a unique blend of the following:
• Passion for the YWCA and its mission to eliminate racism and empower women, augmented by demonstrated experience in programmatic areas.
• Experience in areas covered by YWCA Greater Atlanta programming, especially elimination of racism and sexism, child care and education, domestic violence, sexual assault, women’s economic empowerment, and women’s health and safety.
• Record of success and demonstrated cultural competency in working with diverse populations.
• Demonstrated ability to operate a complex organization combining the functions of a national and international women's membership movement and a women's community service agency.
• Experience with women's issues and in women's programming, especially in areas for which the YWCA has public policy positions (e.g., elimination of racism and sexism, child care, domestic violence on women, sexual and child abuse, women's health and fitness, etc.).
• Strong analytic and strategic-thinking skills, with demonstrated ability to create, implement and monitor complex plans, and translate those plans into goals and concrete strategies to achieve effective mission delivery.
• Career track record that shows stability with an organization and capacity to develop and nurture relationships culminating in overall success.
• Ability to work successfully with Board members and other volunteers as well as civic and business leaders in a collaborative and relationship-building capacity.
• Business and financial acumen, verified through past contributions to the programmatic and fiscal stability of not-for-profit organizations.
• Experience with accountability systems and obtaining and reporting for government agencies, United Way and philanthropic funders.
• Ability to work well under pressure and respond to client/constituency crises.
• Demonstrated ability to represent an organization to multiple constituencies and stakeholder groups.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• A Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree desired.
• A minimum of 10+ years of successful experience in nonprofit leadership and management.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
The YWCA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria.
Please submit a resume, references, salary requirements and cover letter which responds to the question: “Why I Am Best Suited to be the YWCA CEO/Executive Director” in 100 words or less to the Executive Search Committee at : firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: January 18, 2013