Have you ever built a donor-centered development program for a Community Foundation? Does building relationships with potential donors for one of the pre-eminent Community Foundations in the San Francisco Bay area appeal to you? Based in Richmond, CA, The Richmond Community Foundation (RCF) is seeking an enterprising Development Director, responsible for building and guiding a professional fund development program, including donor advised funds, agency funds, major gifts, and annual campaign, as well as managing donor relations. All database management, marketing and communications are based on a Blackbaud/Raisers Edge platform, to achieve the Foundation’s strategic objectives.
The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred) or equivalent and a minimum of six years of relevant experience leading individual giving programs or community foundation advancement efforts. Because the position will require extensive relationship building with prospects, as well as regular presentations to groups, extroverted individuals with strong interpersonal, oral and written communications skills should highlight these skills in the cover letter. Candidates with a sense of humor, as well as an appreciation for and ability to articulate the mission of the Foundation are most welcome.
Richmond Community Foundation Development Director – (12-2012)
The Richmond Community Foundation (RCF) is seeking an experienced professional Development Director to join our small, energetic team. Our salary and benefits package is highly competitive and the Foundation’s office in a newly rehabilitated LEED Gold Certified building provides a high tech workspace and is a lively community focal point.
PURPOSE: To represent the Foundation (RCF) with current and prospective donors and solicit outright and deferred contributions in fulfillment of the donors’ philanthropic desires while meeting the needs of the region and the Foundation.
SCOPE: Reports directly to the President and CEO and works collaboratively with other Foundation staff. The Development Director has frequent contact with board members; provides direction and technical assistance to the development committee; and participates in various community activities across the region to advance RCF.
POSITION OVERVIEW: The following responsibilities are essential to the successful performance of the Development Director:
• Implement the strategic plan for Foundation advancement, in conjunction with the development committee of the Board of Directors
• Implement an aggressive plan for growth, including the expansion of an unrestricted endowment
• Manage all aspects of current, deferred and testamentary gifts from existing and prospective donors
• Develop relationships with professional advisors and other intermediaries
• Plan, coordinate and oversee special events such as professional advisor seminars and/or educational events for donors and prospects
• Identify, research, and cultivate new donors to create new funds
• Work with prospective donors to develop, clarify and implement individualized philanthropic strategies
• Maintain positive relationships with current donors and encourage additional contributions to established funds
• Oversee and assist with donor-related input to the Blackbaud/Raisers Edge software.
• Use foundation materials to present to civic and social groups in the area to convey the Foundation’s message and mission
• Provide reports on the performance and progress of all fund development efforts
• Assist in the development and refinement of the Foundation’s case statement/value proposition and communicate to potential donors, professional advisors and other audiences
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience leading individual giving programs or community foundation advancement efforts; a proven ability to meet fundraising goals and conduct direct cultivation and solicitation of prospective donors; solid implementation of annual campaigns, donor stewardship, and endowment campaigns.
Education: Bachelor's degree is required (advanced degree preferred); CFRE preferred.
The ideal candidate will have a background with the following demonstrated skills:
• Building extensive relationships with individual prospects
• Making regular presentations to individuals and groups.
• Sense of humor
• An appreciation for and ability to articulate the mission of the Foundation.
• Exceptionally strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with board members, committees, staff and volunteers.
• Superior oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work in a small office as part of a close team
• Detail oriented and organized
• Familiar with Raisers Edge, Word, Excel.
• Self-motivated with sound judgment.
• Able to handle multiple tasks and deadlines.
To apply for this position:
Applications (including a resume, cover letter and three professional references), and nominations should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please list ‘Director of Development’ in the e-mail subject line. A review of candidates will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Only candidates who are being actively considered will be contacted.