PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: The Volunteer manager will play a leadership role in directing the overall growth and strategic direction of Butte Humane Society’s (BHS) Volunteer Program. Responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive recruitment, retention and management program for BHS volunteers. Direct the volunteer services programs for volunteers that will provide volunteers the knowledge and capabilities that are required to meet Butte Humane Society’s critical needs.
● Build lasting relationships with volunteers that ensure a great BHS brand volunteer experience.
● Ensure Volunteer Program activities meet the changing needs of BHS.
● Provide quality customer service to clients, volunteers, and staff while actively promoting our mission, services, programs, and events.
● Develop and implement strategies to maintain existing volunteers and recruit new volunteers.
● Design and deliver volunteer orientation and training materials. Coordinate with appropriate departments and staff to deliver appropriate training to the volunteers.
● Recruit and manage foster volunteers and foster animal population to maintain BHS standards of care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Oversight of volunteer database to ensure proper maintenance.
● Design, develop and implement volunteer appreciation activities, events and volunteer communications across the organization.
● Assist with organization of outreach and special events.
● Work cooperatively with all volunteers, recognizing the talent and commitment they bring to best meet the needs of the organization.
● Prepare monthly reports on volunteer hours and activities for the BHS Board of Directors.
● In coordination with Communications and Development team, identify community organizations and businesses to promote BHS’ mission and promote corporate volunteerism.
● Manage Internet communications to both existing and potential volunteer communities through social media outlets and third party websites.
● Manage system to collect volunteer feedback to address potential volunteer program and management issues and implement resolutions for volunteer program organization wide.
● Participate in interdepartmental planning and overall effective team collaboration.
● Participate in other activities as required to achieve organizational goals.
● Participate in development activities as required to meet organizational fundraising goals.
● Assist and educate clients in a professional, respectful, pleasant, courteous and tactful manner at all times.
● Inform supervisor of developments that may affect BHS or the department including departmental progress, client concerns, personnel issues, or situations that could be potentially damaging to the professional image of the Society.
● Ability to maintain all proprietary information in a confidential manner.
● Perform other related duties as assigned.
● Willingness to promote Butte Humane Society (including its policies, procedures, animals, and team members) in a positive and professional manner at all times.
CONTACTS WITH OTHERS: Will have contact with the general public, outside vendors, BHS team members, volunteers, donors, supporters and board members. Demonstrated knowledge of non-profit management and volunteer engagement strongly preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Volunteer Program Manager will perform duties in all areas of the facility and outside. The environment can be dirty, smelly, noisy, stressful, and demanding. There is exposure to potentially dangerous chemicals, animals, and people. Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling animals. Regularly lift, carry animals weighing up to 50 pounds. Consistently exposed to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available. Work can be physically and emotionally demanding
WORK SCHEDULE: Work days are flexible but must be communicated with Executive Director and follow the posted schedule. Full time team members must have open availability seven days a week.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to lift a minimum of 50lbs. Work performed requires sitting for up to 8 hours per day.
● Excellent public relations and relationship building.
● Exemplary writing skills; tailoring style to match the situation.
● Excellent customer service skills; both verbal and written.
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Power Point).
● Data-entry and database management experience and aptitude.
● Must keep within style and brand guidelines and serve as a representative of BHS.
This position description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.