This job is no longer available
Middle School Placement Coordinator
Bronx Charter School for Children | Bronx NY 10454 USA | Full Time | Posted: 01/11/2013
Middle School Placement Coordinator
Do you want to help break the cycle of poverty in the poorest urban Congressional District in the US?
Are you willing to do whatever it takes to close the achievement gap?
Are you a person who believes he/she can positively change the lives of our students, regardless of other environmental factors?
If you answered “yes” to the three questions above, The Bronx Charter School for Children is looking for you!
Middle School Placement Coordinator Job Description
We seek to hire a results-oriented and experienced leader to serve as the Middle School Placement Coordinator. This essential member of the school leadership team will provide and be accountable for the leadership, strategic direction, management, quality control, and evaluation of all fund development and middle school placement operations, programs, and activities.
History of the Bronx Charter School for Children
The Bronx Charter School for Children (BCSC) is an independent, elementary charter school serving 432 students in Kindergarten through 5th grade, located in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx in New York City. Opened in 2004 with 132 students in Kindergarten and 1st grade, BCSC’s Charter recently received charter renewal through 2016. In 2012 the school began its transition from its start-up phase to becoming a continually high performing school focused on excellence.
Educational Philosophy: BCSC adheres to the following approach to learning:
BCSC aspires to help scholars make connections between facts, foster new understanding and think critically. Teachers tailor their developmentally appropriate strategies to student responses and encourage critical thinking through analysis, interpretation and prediction – all in the context of the child’s socio-emotional development, interpersonal relationships and support. As such, the learning environment facilitates a deep understanding of individual needs and targeted instruction. This strong foundation to learning and skill development propels our scholars to change their future trajectory.
Values: Members of the BCSC Community will display the following:
• Understanding and Passion for Urban Education: Drive to make a difference in vulnerable lives…inspiring children to set and achieve stretch goals…culturally sensitive: comfort and impact in the community.
• Commitment to Children: Create a positive learning environment…utilizes developmentally appropriate techniques to create and sustain a love of learning…positive and effective behavior management.
• Collaborates for a Cause: Holds self and others accountable for BCSC’s mission and goals…. high energy to achieve goals, willingly crosses boundaries to achieve the mission…seeks and provides feedback to improve individual and others’ performance…treats others with respect and dignity.
• Analytical/Data Driven in Pursuit of Excellence: Leverages systems and information to improve decision making and performance…makes fact based decisions…monitors performance trends to offer and measure improvement.
• Flexible/Innovative/Adaptive for Goal Attainment: Able to think outside the box and proactively seeks new solutions, ideas and approached…adaptable, open minded…takes calculated risks, strong problem solver.
• Lifelong Learner: Able to master and apply new information quickly…reflective; learns from experiences to improve performance…seeks out and leverages professional development.
Middle School Placement Coordinator: The Middle School Placement Coordinator at The Bronx Charter School for Children possesses outstanding abilities in:
• Research public, independent and parochial middle schools and all processes for enrollment
• Develop relationships with key personnel at desired institutions in order to establish a pipeline for scholars
• Develop a program that incorporates various opportunities, internships, and experiences in order to provide exposure for the scholars
• Develop a timeline for the submission of required materials and other application information
• Develop a timeline that outlines the necessary steps for fourth graders to engage in as preparation for their fifth year
• Create a database to house and manage research and student tracking information
• In conjunction with the guidance counselor, coordinate admissions interviews and other elements of the process with college prep/school ready programs such as Prep for Prep and A Better Chance
• Coordinate practice interviews for all students
• Coordinate practice on external assessment tools in conjunction with the assessment coordinator
• Assist teachers with letters of recommendation and character references
• Coordinate parent events to keep families informed about the recruitment process
Middle School Placement Coordinator Role Qualifications
• Advanced degree in education, nonprofit management, business administration or the equivalent is preferred
• 3-5 years of demonstrated success in developing a program and the necessary relationships for a successful placement program
• Strong track record of deepening relationships with funders or donors’ personally cultivating and establishing new relationships.
• Ability to influence/engage a wide range of donors and create long-term relationships for BCSC
• Ability to work closely with diverse audiences including Board of Trustees, Funders, Instructional Leaders, and other stakeholders.
• Charter school experience a plus
• Ability to lead strategic and tactical program initiatives
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
• Outstanding communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
Go to our website www.TBCSC.org and submit a cover letter addressing why you would be an outstanding addition to BCSC, including responses to the short answer questions and an updated resume. Resumes without a cover letter or short answer responses will not be reviewed.
We will directly contact candidates who meet our criteria in order to arrange a phone interview. BCSC is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds.
Please respond to both questions in 250 words or less.
• Define your responsibilities as a support staff person as they relate to students, parents and colleagues.
• What does accountability mean within the context of a school?
|Location||Bronx, NY, 10454, United States|
|Experience Years||3 yrs|
|Contact Name||Candice Manzano|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Middle School Placement Coordinator|