This job is no longer available
Bronx Charter School for Children | Bronx NY 10454 USA | Full Time | Posted: 01/11/2013
Do you want to help break the cycle of poverty in the poorest urban Congressional District in the US?
Are you willing to do whatever it takes to close the achievement gap?
Are you a great teacher who believes he/she can positively intervene in the lives of students, regardless of other environmental factors?
If you answered “yes” to the three questions above, The Bronx Charter School for Children is looking for teachers like you!
Intervention Specialist Roles for 2012 – 2013
We seek to hire and support highly committed and effective remedial/enrichment teachers who are driven to improve Kindergarten education in an urban setting. We are looking for educators who possess a “roll up my sleeves” enthusiasm and a demonstrated track record of student achievement.
History of the Bronx Charter School for Children
The Bronx Charter School for Children (BCSC) is an independent, elementary charter school serving 432 students in Kindergarten through 5th grade, located in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx in New York City. Opened in 2004 with 132 students in Kindergarten and 1st grade, BCSC’s Charter recently received charter renewal through 2016. In 2012 the school began its transition from its start-up phase to becoming a continually high performing school focused on excellence.
Educational Philosophy: BCSC adheres to the following approach tolearning:
BCSC aspires to help scholars make connections between facts, foster new understanding and think critically. Teachers tailor their developmentally appropriate strategies to student responses and encourage critical thinking through analysis, interpretation and prediction – all in the context of the child’s socio-emotional development, interpersonal relationships and support. As such, the learning environment facilitates a deep understanding of individual needs and targeted instruction. This strong foundation to learning and skill development propels our scholars to change their future trajectory.
Values: Members of the BCSC Community will display the following:
• Understanding and Passion for Urban Education: Drive to make a difference in vulnerable lives…inspiring children to set and achieve stretch goals…culturally sensitive: comfort and impact in the community.
• Commitment to Children: Create a positive learning environment…utilizes developmentally appropriate techniques to create and sustain a love of learning…positive and effective behavior management.
• Collaborates for a Cause: Holds self and others accountable for BCSC’s mission and goals…. high energy to achieve goals, willingly crosses boundaries to achieve the mission…seeks and provides feedback to improve individual and others’ performance…treats others with respect and dignity.
• Analytical/Data Driven in Pursuit of Excellence: Leverages systems and information to improve decision making and performance…makes fact based decisions…monitors performance trends to offer and measure improvement.
• Flexible/Innovative/Adaptive for Goal Attainment: Able to think outside the box and proactively seeks new solutions, ideas and approached…adaptable, open minded…takes calculated risks, strong problem solver.
• Lifelong Learner: Able to master and apply new information quickly…reflective; learns from experiences to improve performance…seeks out and leverages professional development.
Intervention Specialist: All Intervention Specialist at The Bronx Charter School for Children must possess outstanding abilities in:
• Instructional Skills: Produce quality targeted lesson plans for small groups that strive for higher-level objectives yet accommodate all learning styles; maximize learning time through the use of specific intervention/or small group instruction; use varied instructional techniques and apply developmentally appropriate strategies.
• Student Achievement: Hold all students to the highest of expectations; work with other support staff to analyze data from a variety of sources in order to initiate targeted interventions; regularly assess for student learning – both formally and informally– in order to adjust instruction accordingly; clearly demonstrate student growth. Assist with designated assessments in order to determine the necessary academic intervention.
• Community Oriented: Constantly seek out resources and strategies to meet student needs; communicate and collaborate effectively with all members of the community and fully strive to achieve the BCSC mission.
Intervention Specialist Qualifications
• Experience in an urban setting, with a desire to become a lead teacher or learning specialist.
• Believes in developing developmentally appropriate lessons and activities.
• Ability to use data from assessments (or student engagement) to target small group instruction.
• Ability to meet Highly Qualified Status under NCLB.
• Bachelor’s Degree from accredited university
• Team player
Go to our website www.TBCSC.org and submit a cover letter addressing why you would be an outstanding addition to BCSC, including responses to the short answer questions and an updated resume. Resumes without a cover letter or short answer responses will not be reviewed.
We will directly contact candidates who meet our criteria in order to arrange a phone interview. BCSC is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds.
Please respond to both questions in 250 words or less.
• Define your responsibilities as a support staff person as they relate to students, parents and colleagues.
• What does accountability mean within the context of a school?
|Location||Bronx, NY, 10454, United States|
|Contact Name||Candice Manzano|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Intervention Specialist|