JOB TITLE: Program Officer, Environment/Water Program
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
FULL/PART TIME: Full-time
The S. D. Bechtel, Jr. Foundation and Stephen Bechtel Fund (together, the “Foundation”) is dedicated to advancing a productive, vibrant, and sustainable California. To that end, the Environment Program supports the integrated management and stewardship of California’s natural resources to ensure the state’s economic and environmental health.
The Program Officer for the Environment/Water (“Water”) subprogram will manage investments in collaborative efforts designed to advance solutions to the complex challenges of integrated water management in California. The Program Officer will report to the Environment Program Director, and will work with colleagues within and outside the Foundation to provide excellent leadership and strong stewardship of Foundation resources to execute the Water subprogram’s strategic plans. The Program Officer will be part of a seven-person Environment Program team based in San Francisco, California.
The Program Officer should have experience with strategic grantmaking, program management and/or capacity building (organizational development) in a non-profit setting. The position requires an interest in, and understanding of, freshwater resource management, planning, and policy as well as demonstrated leadership and proven success with building and sustaining strong working partnerships with government agencies, foundations, and nonprofit partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The broad goals and responsibilities of the Program Officer include, but are not limited to:
• Interface with and evaluate grantees within the Foundation’s Water subprogram;
• Develop and implement strategies to build and strengthen the field of those working to improve water management in California;
• Promote coordination and collaboration among grantees within the Water subprogram and the Foundation’s other Environment subprograms;
• Perform due diligence on investment opportunities via site visits, evaluation of financial data, organizational analysis, etc.;
• Develop, review, recommend and monitor grants for the Water program;
• Prepare documents, including research reports, presentations, and proposals, and present them to Foundation staff, grantees, and/or funding partners.
• On a project basis, analyze research on a variety of policies, programs, and issues around freshwater management in California;
• Educate Foundation staff and Board members about the Water field, through both oral and written methods;
• Attend and/or plan training and networking events with grantees and funding partners; and
• Produce own correspondence, calendar, etc., and do editing as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university; advanced degree preferred;
• At least seven years in a nonprofit program officer level position or equivalent relevant experience;
• Knowledge of current trends in California water policy and management;
• Ability to self-manage priorities and goals for projects;
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical and problem solving skills;
• Ability to use sound judgment and discretion in responding to inquiries about the Foundation;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office software
• Flexibility and sense of humor.
A candidate must have the ability to communicate through both oral and written means and to sit for extended periods both in meetings and at a computer.
A competitive compensation package is available, including a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, and a comprehensive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send an email with “Environment/Water Program Officer application” in the subject line with a resume and letter of interest by January 25, 2013 to SDBJrRecruiter@sdbjrfoundation.org
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.