Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct the search for a new Executive Director for the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, a successful membership organization located in Ellisville, Missouri. This strategic leadership position reports to the elected 9 member volunteer Board of Directors and also participates as an ad hoc member of the Board of Directors.
ABOUT BMW MOTORCYCLE OWNERS OF AMERICA
The BMW Motorcycle Owners of America (BMW MOA) is a prestigious volunteer organization and motorcycle club founded in 1972 with the mission of fostering communication and a sense of family among BMW motorcycle enthusiasts. Both the BMW MOA officers and staff are dedicated to making the experience of owning a BMW Motorcycle more enjoyable for its fellow motorcycle enthusiasts/members, and work to support the BMW MOA Chartered Clubs throughout the United States and internationally.
The BMW MOA programs create a wide spectrum of services and member benefits including (1) a subscription to its nationally renowned glossy monthly motorcycle magazine entitled BMW Owners News, (2) an annual invitation to participate in the BMW MOA International Rally, a large scale event including seminars, vendor presentations, networking, and socials put on by BMW MOA, (3) membership and active participation into a well-networked and supportive community (family) of BMW motorcycle enthusiasts, (4) informative online and print information about new BMW Motorcycle products, issues, and trends in the BMW MOA community, (5) access to member-to-member communication via the BMW MOA forum, (6) proactive rider education programs, (7) an annual subscription to the BMW MOA Anonymous Book, and many other events, bulletins, and services.
The Executive Director is responsible for all aspects of the leadership, operations, management and growth of the successful membership association. This work includes the implementation of policies, annual goals, objectives, financials, programs and administrative management of the BMW MOA staff. Guidance and direction is provided by the President of the Board and the Board of Directors.
· Provide leadership and inspiring support to staff members.
· Make decisions and restructure staff work responsibilities as needed to best meet the needs of the Association.
· Ensure the Association’s growth of member constituents and lead the successful completion of annual and long term work towards the Association’s mission.
Board Liaison & Reporting
· Provide leadership and support for the elected volunteer Board members of the club.
· Support and advise the Board members on their work, the organization’s needs, and make strategy recommendations to further the growth and mission of the Association.
· Meet with, update, and inform the Board on the current work, project timelines, and organizational progress.
· Maintain ongoing communication and relationships with the entire Board.
· Drive the Association and carry out its mission under the Board’s policy direction.
· Create buy-in for needed projects, strategic plans, or organizational changes on an individual basis prior to Board approval and voting.
· Understand the structure of an elected volunteer Board, and how best to drive organizational growth by creating a consensus among Board members.
· General staff management and hands-on oversight of the Association.
· Act as a supportive expert and coach to the successful independently functioning Marketing, Media, Operations, Finance, and Country Store departments.
· Act as a passionate leader of the Association’s work, departments, and programs.
· Review, assess, and change current staff responsibilities, work flow, and position duties when needed to best carry out the mission of the BMW MOA.
· Manage and inspire the internal staff members to best ensure a positive team environment fostering growth and professional development.
· Provide staff guidance, leadership, and mentorship.
· Conduct performance assessments.
· Create personnel policies to ensure professional development of existing staff.
· Provide the Board with feedback and make recommendations regarding the Association’s staffing needs and structure.
· Oversee all aspects of Human Relations, including but not limited to, employee relations, benefits, and payroll related issues.
· Manage and work directly with Association volunteers to successfully organize the annual rally and other events.
Membership Recruitment & Marketing Leadership
· Lead, create, and oversee all strategic membership programs.
· Gain Board approval, participation, and passionate belief in support of strategic marketing plans.
· Design new programs to engage and expand the existing member base and reach new audiences.
· Oversee the design, production, and marketing of products.
· Modernize the BMW MOA merchandising offerings and marketing approach.
· Create campaigns to best leverage social media and the BMW MOA website to increase brand awareness and membership.
· Design new marketing plans, and merchandise offerings attractive for both the members of the BMW MOA and the public.
· Identify and create new revenue lines by selling modern products and driving merchandising growth.
Financial Leadership, Budget, and Accounting Oversight
· Supervise and directly manage the Association’s Staff Accountant and finance operations.
· Supervise and work with Board to implement the annual budget and organizational goals.
· Annual budget revision and supervision.
· Provision of regular reports to the Board.
· Oversee financials.
· Ensure that proper tax, reporting, and related financial tasks are being done effectively on the Association’s behalf.
· Report to the Board on operational issues and needs.
· Explore and introduce new ideas where appropriate.
· Represent the Association at internal meetings, annual events/rallies, and required meeting functions.
· Speak eloquently with Association members on the Association’s behalf.
· Ability to write and speak clearly and effectively to diverse audiences and answer direct questions from Association members about the organization’s work, and/or related BWM Motorcycle questions.
· Ensure successful and appropriate marketing and communications tools are updated and/or created to support the mission of the Association.
· We seek a motorcycle enthusiast with a passion for BMW motorcycles.
· Ten to fifteen years of prior relevant work experience as a manager.
· Extensive experience and knowledge of the motorcycle community and industry.
· Preference for personal experience involving BMW ownership, with an emphasis on motorcycle clubs and organizations.
· Substantial experience working with Boards, and or past experience working directly with/reporting to executive leadership.
· The capacity and desire to work with a dedicated and involved hands-on Board of volunteers.
· A desire to work with and empower others.
· Impeccable business and work ethic.
· Understanding, acceptance and interest in working in a volunteer/club organization.
SALARY & BENEFITS
BMW MOA offers a relaxed and professional working atmosphere, a competitive base salary of $100,000 to $130,000 DOE, and full medical benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct this search. For immediate consideration please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Scion Executive Search via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and successes can be found online at www.nonprofitexecutivesearchfirm.com.