Guest Services Manager
Esalen Institute | Big Sur CA 93920 USA | Full Time | Posted: 08/13/2013
Esalen Institute, the pioneering alternative education center dedicated to personal and social transformation, is currently seeking a Guest Services Manager with strong leadership, customer service, safety and security skills and experience, who is dedicated to personal growth and motivated by community living.
This full-time exempt position reporting to the Guest Services Director is responsible for delivering all facets of the guest service function, and leading 5 experienced Supervisors and up to 25 staff. The Guest Services Manager will fully participate as a committed member of the Esalen Leadership Team, be an ambassador of business initiatives and changes, as well as support and enhance the service we deliver and implement effective and efficient procedures, with a focus and drive to deliver high levels of guest service and support. Esalen’s guest services department is a central and core function that serves all Esalen guests, departments, staff and community, leaders and donors. Responsible for the provision of a high quality guest experience, including the areas of safety and security, a 24hr x 7 day per week operation; reservations, front desk and front gate; bookstore; general office administration, information and guest guidance. We are interested in someone who loves to work with people, is a natural service provider, leader and team motivator and has a passion for service. The ideal candidate is very innovative and a self-starter. This person is highly organized with exceptional communication skills; and is able to demonstrate solution-based thinking and behaviors that inspire, motivate and empower. He/she also needs to be open and willing to try new things, to encourage creativity and participation, be able to articulate recommendations, with proven improvement implementation skills & experiences. We are also interested in someone that understands and embraces Esalen’s Vision & Mission, that recognize the work we do is critical in the world, and has a strong desire to participate in our Esalen community.
• Support the Guest Services Director in bringing the Gate and Office functions together combining into one efficient and effective multitalented team
• Create and support a harmonious and safe work environment, ensuring the smooth operation and delegation of all guest services functions; with strong leadership and support to the department staff. Motivating and empowering staff with training, guidance and support, encouraging individual expansion, job enjoyment and team play. Providing our team with kind and responsible feedforward that supports this process
• Deliver an environment that is welcoming and provides exceptional customer service focusing on our guest experience, supporting our guests and staff with kindness and respect, either in person or over the phone
• Support a high quality & efficient reservations function, ensuring accuracy and maximum bed occupancy, while meeting the revenue budget; working closely with Programs
• Revenue team participation, working closely with Marketing and Programs, meeting the revenue budget
• Department budget, money collection & revenue management – working with our Accounting department
• Monthly management reporting including call center reports, bed management and guest feedback
• Recruitment and staff performance review, working with Human Resources
• Esalen Reservations system, data quality control ensuring integrity, reporting, recommendations for improvement, working with FileMaker Data Base administrator, supporting the most effective use of the existing database
• Promote, lead and direct improvement projects; maintain and manage a project list of activities and required actions
• Security : responsible for the overall security of the entire property. Ensuring all procedures are documented and current and all required Staff are trained and supported. Upholding all Esalen policies, i.e. conduct & behavior, property access with our no visitors policy, staff & business guesting; parking & noise; and our non-violence policy
• Safety: in collaboration with the Guest Services Director and Human Resources, ensure a clear, well documented and current safety and emergency procedure. Ensuring all required staff are trained and skills, names and contacts are current. Our front gate serves as the communication center for medical, fire, and other emergency situations at Esalen. Emergencies may involve coordinating outside help from the Big Sur Fire Brigade, Big Sur Ambulance Service, the Monterey County Sheriff’s Department, and the California Highway Patrol
• Interdepartmental communication, collaboration and support with all departments, namely with Programs, Residential Education, Housekeeping, Healing Arts and Maintenance
• Attend weekly team meetings, operational and management meetings, representation at specific project meetings, departmental process and Esalen staff and community meetings Experience / Qualifications / Skills
• At least 5 years of customer service & reservations experience in a leadership position and in similar education center, retreat center, or hospitality industry, with a passion for exceptional service
• At least 5 years of management experience, including leading teams; a proven team player, maintaining healthy relationships with co-workers, other departments and community members
• General office and administration management experience
• Ability to make effective decisions, take responsibility and accountability. Deal compassionately with difficult situations and people, being able to set healthy and assertive boundaries in kindness and with respect
• Experience in leading and directing medical emergencies or experience interacting with emergency services and law enforcement agencies is preferred for this position
• Strong communication and listening skills, including verbal and written, while seeking better ways
• Detailed orientated and highly organized, with good problem solving skills and the ability to navigate a complex environment
• Documentation writing and experience with training others
• Strong computer skills with an eye for detail accuracy
• Self motivated and responsible, with a willingness to learn a wide variety of job skills
• Be able to receive guidance and feedback, and be able to provide feedback with care and respect
• A strong desire to participate in our Esalen community
• Experience with reviewing business process, finding and recommending improvements that provide a quality guest service, and efficient and effective ways of operating
• Project co-ordination/management experience Preferred not required
• Experience with Esalen’s Blackberry reservation system
• Experience & understanding of Esalen operations
• Experience working within the culture of a non-profit
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to work in a physically demanding environment; ability to lift up to 30 pounds; maneuver on uneven ground; stand for long periods of time; sitting at a desk and working on computers and answering phones.
Compensation and Benefits
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services. Currently this position may qualify for Esalen’s meal and housing program. A monthly residential fee is deducted per pay period in two equal payments and includes housing and three wholesome meals per day. These accommodations may be in shared housing space. Esalen provides housing to employees under a license, and only in conjunction with employment. The license to occupy housing at Esalen expires upon the termination of employment.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants. To learn more about our history, browse our program and workshop offerings, or download the current catalog, please visit our web site at www.esalen.org.
Please send your resume, cover letter, references and any salary requirements to email@example.com Application deadline: open until filled. Esalen Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Location||Big Sur, CA, 93920, United States|
|Annual Salary||$44,700.00 - $55,100.00/Yearly|
|Travel Required||1% of the time|
|Experience Years||5 yrs|
|Visa Sponsorship||Do not sponsor.|
|Contact Name||Tatyana Sanikovich|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|