The Marin Economic Forum (MEF) works to create an environment that supports start-up, expanding and entrepreneurial businesses within Marin’s economic sustainability strategy and within the “Three E’s” that are central to Marin’s values: Economy, Environment, and Social Equity.
The main areas of focus for MEF are:
• Lead policy development that illustrates the benefits of local economic health and an integrated element of overall civic goals.
• Recruit and retain businesses in specific industries considered “targets” due to their broad and deep economic effects on the county economy.
• Seek opportunities to aggregate and augment resources for all local businesses.
• Facilitate working groups made up of business, government, educational, and non-profit organizations, toward a common vision of economic sustainability in Marin.
• Provide project-specific studies that measure economic impact in the context of Marin’s core values.
• Assist ongoing economic analyses specific to Marin’s unique local economy.
• Leadership of a for-profit company, economic development or business advocacy non-profit organization with an annual budget in excess of 1 million dollars.
• Demonstrated leadership of a diverse team.
• Management of a diverse board of directors.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Masters degree or higher and/or 5+ years’ experience in economic development a plus.
• Knowledge of and successful professional experience in Marin County preferred.
Main tasks and priorities for the COO:
Reporting to the CEO, this position will include:
• Management of resources and municipal governments.
• Engagement in public policy debates, discussions and planning.
• Fundraising lead for donations, grants, and fee for services contracts from local businesses, governments, residents, and other organizations.
Additional qualities and skills desired:
• Someone who thoroughly understands the needs of the business community.
• Good communicator, public speaker, outgoing, dynamic; excellent writing skills.
• Demonstrated success and experience in understanding local cultures, communities, and ability to build relationships quickly.
• Has political savvy and ability to navigate political arenas.
• Understanding of financial accounting and reporting systems.
• Understanding of an organization's website presence, social networking and other communication tools.
In addition to meeting fully its obligations of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws, Marin Economic Forum is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility, and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to economic status, ethnic background, political views, or other personal characteristics or beliefs. Marin Economic Forum is an Equal Opportunity /ADA Employer.
This Search is being conducted by the Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership Transition
To be considered as an applicant:
• Email Resume and Cover Letter in two separate documents in .doc (preferred) or .pdf format, in confidence to: TransitionServices@cvnl.org
• Please include your cover letter in a separate document
• Please include in your resume your LinkedIn profile link url and all previous employer’s
• Please put “[Last name] MEF COO Search” in the Subject line