The Merola Opera Program in San Francisco, California, seeks a Marketing Manager whose primary responsibility is the creation and management of all Merola marketing, public relations and graphic design efforts. Widely regarded as the foremost opera training program for aspiring singers, coaches and stage directors, the Merola Opera Program is the cornerstone of San Francisco Opera’s training and performance programs for promising young artists. Established in 1957 in memory of Gaetano Merola, the first General Director of San Francisco Opera, Merola has served as a proving ground for hundreds of artists, including Sylvia McNair, Anna Netrebko, Patricia Racette, Ruth Ann Swenson, Carol Vaness, Deborah Voigt, Joyce DiDonato, Susan Graham, Dolora Zajick, Rolando Villazón, Thomas Hampson and Patrick Summers. The Program annually offers 29 artists the rare opportunity of studying, coaching and participating in master classes with established professionals for twelve weeks during the summer. Participants also perform in two complete opera productions with orchestra and a summer concert. The Program incorporates intensive training in operatic repertory, languages, diction, acting and movement and culminates with the Merola Grand Finale, a concert with the San Francisco Opera Orchestra on the stage of the War Memorial Opera House. The Merola Opera Program is a financially independent organization with a separate 501(c)3 which operates in collaboration with the San Francisco Opera Center and San Francisco Opera.
The Marketing Manager reports to the Executive Director and will undertake the following responsibilities:
DESIGN and MARKETING:
• Creates and coordinates all marketing and advertising for community events, performances and other Merola-related activities. Works collaboratively with appropriate media outlets.
• Manages all aspects of publications, including graphic design and print production of multi-page
member benefit booklets, member acquisition tools, season materials, postcards, invitations, annual fundraising event materials including signage and auction forms, printed and online newsletters, etc.
• Collaborates with development staff on planning, design and implementation of development
materials and membership campaigns.
• Ensures that Merola’s website is operational, up to date and is optimized for membership acquisition
• Works closely with printers and mail houses.
• Ensures that all outward-facing communications adhere to Merola brand guidelines.
• Serves as liaison to the Marketing Department of the San Francisco Opera.
• Establishes and nurtures relationships with other Bay Area arts organizations, hospitality and media for marketing trade and outreach assistance.
• Works in conjunction with the Executive Director, Marketing and PR Committee Chair and outside
public relations consultants (with the support of Administrative and Public Relations Assistant)
to develop and implement Merola’s public relations efforts.
• Reports on marketing and PR efforts at monthly Executive Committee meetings and full Board meetings.
• Works with Board committees and their chairs on an as-needed basis.
• Prepares annual marketing and PR budgets in conjunction with the Executive Director and Marketing
and PR Committee Chair.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and three to five years experience in
marketing, public relations and publications production, preferably with a nonprofit arts organization.
• Graphic design skills with full working knowledge of Adobe Design Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat
Pro, Photoshop, Bridge).
• Ability to maintain several projects of equal priority at once and sustain productivity and accuracy
• Articulate, detail-oriented, flexible self-starter able to work with minimal supervision and interact in a
professional manner with staff, donors and Board members.
• Strong writing skills.
• Experience with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Outlook and Excel.
• Willingness to work flexible, long and irregular hours during peak periods.
E-mail cover letter and resume directly to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
MEROLA OPERA PROGRAM IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF