Come join the staff and volunteer team at BCC as our Development Officer. As the lead member of the development team, the Development Officer works collaboratively in a team-oriented, mission focused environment and is responsible for the implementation and analysis of BCC’s fundraising programs. Raising approximately $1.6 million annually, priorities include donor cultivation, grant writing, and event planning. The Development Officer is a full-time position, reporting to the Executive Director.
• Assist in the development and execution of an effective long-term fundraising strategy for the organization to ensure that it will have adequate financial resources for current and future operations.
• Establish annual fundraising objectives and design an appropriate strategy for accomplishing them, working closely with the Board Fund Development Committee and the Executive Director.
• Prepare reports to analyze progress toward financial goals. Metrics may include the numbers of prospects in qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship; number of prospect/donor visits; number of grant solicitations; and major gift contribution forecasts.
• Manage corporate and foundation giving program, including writing proposals and reports to grant making institutions. Ensure that appropriate staff members are involved in a timely manner to meet deadlines.
• Build strong relationships with key agency stakeholders including donors, volunteers, corporations, foundations and other community organizations.
• Identify and cultivate new individual, corporate and foundation donor prospects, including major donors, involving the Executive Director and others when appropriate. Oversee and manage donor portfolios and meeting follow-up.
• Oversee all donor stewardship activities, including donor appreciation events and ensuring timely gift acknowledgement. Identify and steward current donors to become major donors.
• Manage event planning for all development related events and attend and participate in BCC events.
• Work collaboratively with all BCC staff, providing a fundraising perspective and offering ideas and support for BCC activities.
• Perform other duties and assist with special projects as needed.
Summary of Qualifications
The successful candidate will have the following skills and background:
• B.A. or B.S. degree
• Minimum of 5 years increasingly responsible and successful development experience
• Ability to think strategically and translate that thinking into action plans that accomplish goals
• Exceptional multi-tasking, organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong writing and speaking skills
• Experience in managing and motivating staff and volunteers successfully
• Demonstrated initiative, follow-through, high energy, and sense of humor
• Familiarity with Peninsula funding community and health related nonprofits is a plus.
About Breast Cancer Connections
Breast Cancer Connections is a one-stop resource for breast cancer and related breast health issues located in Palo Alto. As a nonprofit organization, we offer free programs and services for those touched by breast cancer and the people who care about them. We have a dynamic, engaged and active volunteer corps numbering more than 400 individuals who are deeply committed to treating each individual with respect and compassion. Our board is committed to funding the mission and actively engaged with fundraising initiatives and events. Since Breast Cancer Connections was founded in 1993 by a breast cancer patient and her dedicated surgeon, we have endeavored to set the standard for compassionate support and comprehensive information. We are proud of our exceptional volunteer and staff team and we were named a “Best Place to Work” by Opportunity Knocks. We believe our team is integral to making BCC the best resource in the Bay Area for those affected by breast cancer. BCC’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process. For more information about Breast Cancer Connections, applicants are encouraged to visit our website at www.bcconnections.org.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time (40 hours weekly) position with a salary based on experience. BCC offers a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, vacation and holidays. BCC’s pleasant, welcoming offices are located within a block of California Street restaurants and shops.
Please email letter of interest (detailing relevant experience) and resume to email@example.com. Review of applicant materials will begin as received. Please make DD the subject of your email along with your name (ex: “DD Ann Smith”).